ATV Forum banner

'01 Kodiak 400 won't start. . .pilot screw setting???

28K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Newbie 
#1 ·
I accidentally left the fuel petcock on after riding my '01 Kodiak 400 4x4. . .the carb got gummed up with bad gas so I removed it to clean it. . .I pulled all of the jets and needles, but I forgot to count the # of turns it took to remove the pilot screw when I took it out. . .now I can't get the Kodiak to start. . .

I can get it to fire up using starting fluid, but I can't keep it running. . .can anybody help me out by telling the ~ # of turns my pilot screw needs to be set out so that I don't spend forever trying to chase a setting that it will start at. . .

Thanks!!!

#3 ·
Thanks Saber6. . .and just to make sure we are talking about the same jet it. . .I am talking about part #7 (pilot screw set) the from the diagram below. . .it is the one that is located outside of the fuel float bowl and that you can adjust without disassembling the carb. Are you talking about the same part???

Also. . .all the rest of the jets are supposed to be screwed all the way in right. . .with the exception of the needle jet. . .I did not adjust the clip setting on the needle jet.

Sorry. . .EFI has made me carb stupid!!!

Thanks again,

Joel

#6 ·
OK. . .any other suggestions. . .it still won't start on it's own. . .with starting fluid it will only start temporarily. . .I know the carb is clean and I know that fuel is getting to the float bowl because when I unscrew the drain screw on the float bowl fuel will drain out of the float bowl. . .

. . .I know it's getting spark. . .it seems to me I'm just not getting any fuel out of float bowl and into the combustion chamber to start the ATV or keep it running. . .

Thanks again,

Joel

#7 ·
I finally figured out what the problem really was. . .the needle valve was shot. . .it wasn't allowing any fuel to fill the float bowl which is why I could get the quad to start with starting fluid, but not continue to run. . .

. . .I bought a carb rebuild kit from Moose and then bought the throttle stop cover gasket, starter plunger set, and the float retaining screw from Bike Bandit and it will now start. . .runs pretty rough right now, but I haven't readjusted the pilot screw either. . .after that gets reset correctly I should be back in business. . .

. . .here's a quick additional question though. . .after getting it start and run it backfires while I'm running it quite a bit and it never did before. . .will getting the pilot screw set correctly fix this problem ans well as smooth out the idle???

Thanks!

#8 ·
I've got the pilot jet screw adjusted to 2.5 turns out and it starts right up now!!!

I still have to readjust the throttle stop screw so that it idles at the correct RPM again and I still need to figure out what fell out of the choke lever assembly that keeps it from immediately returning to the "un-choked" position. . .I'm guessing a spring or a fiber friction washer. . .if you know please share. . .right now the only thing that is associated with the choke lever (aside from the starter plunger cable) is the screw and washer. . .

Also. . .any help on the backfiring issue. . .it pops a lot at when I try to run it up to full throttle (in park. . .haven't driven it yet because I haven't fully reassembled it yet until I get everything all sorted out. . .tired of putting it together and taking it apart again 5 minutes later!!!) and I don't remember it doing that before.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.