ATV Forum banner

2005 Polaris sportmans hot engine warning

18K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Dirtyone55 
#1 ·
I just acquired a 2005 Polaris sportsman 400 4x4. The hot temp indicator light comes on with the radiator cooling fan as soon as you turn the key to on, whether hot or cold.

I have change the thermister with no success at clearing the "hot "warning...... any thought what could be causing this.

My manual says the Surepower box (ECM) controls this function. Anyway to test???

#2 ·
ECM replacement

I'm having the same problem and called my dealer. He said he thought the ECM was deteriorating, however, he asked if it had ever been replaced. There is a warranty replacement for it so I'm taking it in tomorrow. They look it up with the VIN number to see if it has ever been replaced. Check it out, you make get it fixed for free.

#3 ·
I have a Polaris Sportsman 400 ATV. I changed the oil and filter, greased it and washed it the other day and parked it in the garage. The next day I went out to the garage and the cooling fan was running, but the engine hadn't been started for nearly 24 hours. I turned on the switch and the HOT ENGINE light was flashing even though the engine is cold. I finally had to disconnect the fan just so it would't run my battery down. Suspect moisture in a connection. Any ideas wher to look?

#4 ·
polaris was recalling the ecm's, go to a polaris dealer with vin number and see if your's was done or even part of the recalled atv's.
if it's on the recall list and was never done it will be replaced for free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.