ATV Forum banner

'01 Grizzly 600 recoil starter rope not retracting???

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  atomicjoe23 
#1 ·
I have an '01 Grizzly 600 and the recoil starter stopped releasing. . .no big deal I think, so I pulled it apart and the spring for the ratchet pawl is decimated and the retaining nut that attaches the friction plate to the starter drum/sheave had come undone.

I ordered a new spring, put everything back together, and re-installed the recoil starter and it still won't release. . .I didn't know the exact orientation of the parts since the retaining nut had come off (I'm using lock tight once I know it's fixed), but I have a service manual (which doesn't do a very good job of illustrating part orientation) and I tried it with the pawl in two different orientations with the same results both times. . .I pull on the starter rope and then it won't retract. . .

. . .has anyone else ever had this problem?

If so, what did you do to fix it?

I've kinda exhausted what I know to do. . .I've even stoned the pawl smooth thinking that maybe the slightly rolled edges were preventing the pawl from swinging into the release position. . .anyway, that seems to be the problem. . .the pawl is locking out and not releasing.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.