ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you probably saw my other two posts. . .forgot to turn the fuel petcock off on the Kodiak which led to a winters worth of frustration. . .

. . .long story short one carb rebuild and a new needle valve later and the Kodiak is again running. . .I've got the idle properly adjusted again and it starts right up and idles as normal. . .now a new problem has surfaced. . .

. . .it's very hesitant when given throttle now. . .something that has NEVER been an issue before. . .

. . .do I just need to play with the pilot screw some more???

Right now it's set to 2.5 turns out from full in. . .

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help on this one. . .

. . .the quad bogs and wants to die as soon as I give it any gas at all. . .and it was VERY responsive before. . .

. . .I'm sorry I'm carb stupid (getting better. . .) but will continuing to tweak the pilot screw fix this problem???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. . .I just got home from school and I started the Kodiak up again. . .I ran it for about 5-10 minutes playing with the pilot screw and it really didn't have any effect. . .

. . .since I had just put in brand new spark plugs I figured I would pull them and see whether I was rich or lean. . .I believe the mixture is too rich. . .I have the dark, dry carbon deposit on the spark plug and it wipes away relatively easily. . .gonna put the plug back in and try running it with the air filter removed to confirm that it's too rich. . .if that confirms it I guess I need to adjust the jet needles clip position. . .I thought that I put it right back in the exact same position but I could have messed that up. . .I will try to lower it one position next. . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing the air filter didn't help any at all. . .kinda confused on what else to try. . .feel like I would just be chasing my own tail at this point. . .I could try moving the jet needle clip setting down one, but I don't if that would help either. . .

. . .throttle response is good up until about 1/4 throttle then it wants to bog and die. . .the faster I push on the throttle the more it wants to bog and die. . .

. . .could be the accelerator pump, but that was working fine before and I didn't really do anything to it???

I could use a little help on this one. . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Saber6. . .this carb is whacky. . .I think it has schitzophrenia and doesn't know what it wants or needs. . .the spark plug looks like it was running rich so I tried removing the air filter and that didn't help so it didn't confirm anything, so I tried raising the clip position (lowering the needle-->restricting fuel) and that didn't help. . .tried all the clip setting above the middle with no help. . .so I tried lowering the clip setting (raising the needle-->more fuel). . .tried lowering it all the way to the last setting and that didn't help much and was in the wrong direction anyway. . .but while I had everything apaprt I placed my hand over the air intake to see if I had suction and it ran better with my hand partially blocking the intake. . .so I kept my hand there and tried revving it with my hand as a restrictor plate and VOILA it runs just like it used to. . .GREAT which means that it was running lean with the clip in the lowest position which it shouldn't be doing because that would allow the most fuel to the engine and it's a stock rebuild kit so it should be the same needle size and taper (although they do have different types of markings on them). . .

so now I'm at a loss. . .I'm gonna oil filter and I guess check for air leaks in at the airbox and at the manifold. . .that is the only thing I can think of at this point that would cause it to run too lean when it's in the lowest clip setting. . .

what do you think???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna put the needle back in the middle position and try my hand as a restrictor plate there also and see what happens. . .might help me narrow it down to needle size/taper or air leak, but the manifold has never been removed from the engine so that shouldn't be an issue. . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the needle back in the mid position it doesn't run quite as well as it did in the lowest (richest) setting, but when I was restricting the air flow with my hand (granted a very crude restrictor plate) there was a little smoke out of the pipe so it was a little rich. . .maybe I will move the needle down one clip setting and try from there. . .

. . .I'm really not sure what to do after that though. . .it's pretty obvious from the fact that it runs like crap until I put my hand almost completely blocking the the air intake that it is running lean. . .even at the richest setting. . .it's also pretty obvious that the problem is only with the needl because if I push the throttle all the way to the stop it goes past the 1/4-3/4 dead spot (where it almost dies) and then it kinda tries to come back it doesn't have full power, but it's not completely dead anymore. . .so I need to figure out what in that circuit is causing the problem??? It's a brand new jet needle, a brand new needle jet, and a brand new O-ring for the needle jet and a brand new main jet. . .all the jets are brand new and all the O-rings and gasket are brand new so is the fuel needle valve and seat. . .and I don't think that's the problem. . .

. . .could this be caused by a small leak in the diaphragm at all. . .resulting in the needle jet not being pulled up properly???

I tried putting the gas tank cover and seat back on thinking that maybe they give just enough restriction to the air intake to fix the problem but they don't. . .I keep on thinking there must be an air leak somewhere but I can't imagine where. . .the engine side intake was never removed and the carb is fully inserted into it. . .the airbox was fully inserted onto the carb and both of the connections from/to the carb from/to the airbox are hooked up as well???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am convinced that somehow I ended up with some incorrectly sized jets in my rebuild kit, becuase I have tried it all now. . .I have tried evey clip setting for the jet needle and I have tried the old jet needle and a new spark plug (even though the plug in it was pretty new to begin with). . .

. . .I wrote Moose Utilities Division via Parts Unlimited (because the MUD website Contact link wasn't working) asking if they use stock size main jets and needles or if it's possible I got the wrong jet sizes accidentally and we'll see what they say, but I'm pretty unhappy right now. . .the quad ran awesome last summer and now not all. . .the Grizzly runs great and it sat right next to the Kodiak all winter. . .so this pretty much blows. . .I'm about ready to just buy all new OEM jets and needles and just use the gaskets and O-rings from the rebuild kit. . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts