ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have an 01 rancher. Over the weekend we parked the wheeler in neutral for a short break, after we restarted it would not shift out of neutral. Tried moving back and forth, all the usual simple fixes, but no luck. I pulled out the manual shift back-up and still no luck. My service manual tells me that if the manual shift doesn't work than there is probably transmission damage but I just can't believe it. I haven't always been nice to this machine but we weren't beating it at all this weekend! Any help would be appreciated......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case anyone else needs help, this is what I've found..

It appears the "gearshift plate" is cracked and causing my problems. There is also a "lifter cam" that appears to have hit the centrifugal clutch housing at some point and is a little damaged. I hope that there is no further damage inside the transimission. I removed the engine expecting the worst, what a pain in the neck, otherwise I think this repair may have been possible with the engine inside the frame. I am trying to order the necessary parts today to reassemble the engine and try it out. I will try and keep you guys posted if there are further repairs needed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probable Cause

I have a pretty good idea what happened. We were on a ride a couple of months ago in some pretty deep snow. One of the machines in our group just would not go and I had to beat mine pretty good to get our two machines out. I guess just because the electric shift will let you shift at full throttle doesn't mean that it is good for the machine! I've had it for almost nine years and other than the regulator, this is the only other major problem. I love this ATV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts