ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 sportsman 400 has an antifreeze leak gotta fill the res. before each ride whats weird is that no puddles underneath it... doesnt smoke bad and runs like a champ been a good ride and that gets annoying no other problems 2nd owners kept inside ridden by 60 year old guy just this stupid problem gotta figure it out fast hes the kinda guy who thinks they know about it thinks its like old sleds and wants to tear down the whole thing... thats how i got my sled

·
Registered
29 Posts
Clean the unit with a pressure washer and dry the unit down, would be good to let it sit over night. Run the unit up to operating temperature and place a clean piece of card board under the unit, let site and look for spots on the card board.

If the cardboard is clean with no drips you should perform a pressure test on the cooling system.

*Safety Note* make sure you remove the rad cap with care if hot place a rag over the cap before removing.

Use a rad pressure tester to pump up the cooling system to 10 PSI and let the unit site for 5 min or longer the system should hold this pressure with little drop. If you note a rapid drop with no external leaks. You may have a internal leak in the engine, check the spark plug for an extremely clean look as the coolant will wash the cylinder and spark plug down to a nice white clean look. See if you can use a mirror and see the top of the piston or even remove the front exhaust piping to gain access to the exhaust port. Normally you will see a black top piston with a black to brown exhaust valve. If it is extremely clean you may have a weeping cylinder head gasket.

One more thing you can do is install the rad pressure tester on the rad and start the engine from cold and look for a rapid rise on the rad pressure tester gauge. this would show you a pressurization of the cooling system from the combustion chamber.

*Note the pressure will rise with engine temperature you are looking for a rapid rise with a cool rad to the touch.

PS, How is the hose from the overflow tank, have a good look at the cap for the overflow bottle. I have been told in the past from a good friend use the KISS method :dunno:
(Keep It Simple Stupid) what it means is look for the small and simple fixes first stay away from the expensive repairs until you can prove to your self that all the simple solution have been looked at first.;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks for the info appreciated: ) what is this rad pressure tester you speak of and where can i get one... once again thanks for the info!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can i rent one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes you may be able to rent such a tool go to your local automotive parts store and ask them there if they rent specialty tools for automotive repairs. They may be able to help you out or lead you to the people that do rent such tools Good Luck :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks i might need it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts