ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this atv used knwoing that the 31T gear in the rear gearcase needed to be replaced. I got the driveshaft out and all the bolts but i cant figure out how to get the cv shafts off of it. Can anyone help me? Im new to atv and this is my first one. Thank you to whoever can help me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have the rear hubs off of the unit yet? I'm assuming that you are removing the transmission from the unit as a assembly. I will start from the beginning of the disassembly you may have completed most of these steps.

Remove the rear wheels from the unit then remove the upper carriage bolt from the outer axle hub and tip the hub assembly outward.
At this point you will have enough room to work the CV shaft out of the wheel hubs.

At this point you will give the axle shaft a sharp pull, this will dislodge the compression ring on the axle shaft in the transmission.If you find them very tight you may use two small bare or screw drivers on ether side of the hub next to the transmission and pry the hub out. This ring is basically a circular clip which wraps around the axle shaft. When inserted into the transmission is has a locking grove that it sits in. What you are doing when you pull outward on the axle shaft is compressing this ring. This compression of the ring unseats the axle and allows you to remove the shaft.

Have a look at this it may help.

Polaris_600_R-axle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the rear tires off. The driveshaft out and i am trying to get the cv axles out of the rear gearcase but i was worried about tearing something up just kind of pulling on them but im guessing thats how to get them out. Thank you for the reply im trying to get this thing apart and put back together to take it out on some trails

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i got the whole rear end fixed now to my next problem i have replaced the brake pads on it but i still have no brakes. I have tryed bleeding them and nothing comes out. Anyone have any ideas on what else i should try?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bleeding the brakes

I would first make sure you have a clean master cylinder, and the two little holes are clear in the bottom of the master. Try a gravity bleed first open all the bleeders on all the calipers, maker sure all the little bleed screws are clear of mud if they have no little rubber caps on them. This will take a bit of time, just let the unit site for a few minute and see if you see brake fluid dripping from the bleeders. Once you see clean brake fluid at the bleeder close it off until you have all three or four calipers with clear brake fluid.

At this point go to the furthers bleeder from the master cylinder, pump the brake handle five or six times. open the bleeder and repeat until you see no air. do this for the rest of the calipers.

You will also have to bleed the emergency brake system for the rear calipers, you should see two bleeders on each rear caliper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well i got them to flow brake fluid great through the bleeders but still no brakes. I also checked those two little holes and they are clear. Any other advice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Master Cylinder

Remove the brake line from the master cylinder and place your finger over the end of the master. see if you can build pressure on your finger. If you build pressure on your finger you should try and bench bleed the master cylinder.

Where you removed the brake line from the master cylinder, try and find a plastic fitting that will fit in that hole. Make sure your fitting has a barb on the other end as you will be installing a short piece of plastic clear line onto this fitting. Place the other end of the plastic line back into the open top of the master cylinder.

Pump the brake lever and take note if your see and fluid moving in the line. If your see no fluid moving or no pressure on your finger, the piston in the master will have air in it or the seals in the master cylinder have failed. Some brake system are hard to bleed the air out.

Try and use only a plastic fitting as this is a banjo fitting, a pipe thread in plastic will not damage the master cylinder.

CAUTION NOTE BRAKE FLUID WILL REMOVE PAINT FROM YOU MACHINE TAKE CARE NOT TO LET IT SIT ON ANY PART IF IT SPLASHES ON IT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts