ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie writing on this site, id appreciate any feedback as im going crazy with this atv.
Just purchased, was smoking and running erratic.
-Bored cylinder, new piston rings(145 psi now)
-put aftermrket flywheel on(was bad magnets)
-New aftermarket carb
After changing flywheel I had no spark.
-Checked ohms from stator wires, ok.
-Checked stator high voltage from pulse and source with max voltage meter adapter, ok.
-Checked voltage going into cdi from stator, ok
-checked voltage coming out of cdi, NONE
-I reversed the yellow and white wire from stator, (source) and green and blue wire(pulse) and I got spark, yahoo!
I tried starting but wouldnt start. I tried either in cylinder, not even a little. If it has compression, gas, and spark it must be timing. I put timing mark on flywheel aligned with case mark on compression stroke then took valve cover off and lines on cam were parallel to mating surface, cam lobes were facing down, piston tdc, I rotated motor and checked this 3 times and im sure its correct.
So even though I changed the wires(because of aftermarket flywheel polarity being backwards I assume) and now have spark why will it not fire?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you try shooting some starting fluid in the carb ? If it doesn't fire on that then I'd say you have a timing issue. Maybe reversing the wires also reversed which cylinder was firing.
Keep us posted.

Mad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oops. Re read your post. I thought you said "either" cylinder. Thought you were dealing with a twin.
If it doesn't fire on ether it's definitely not a fuel problem. And you have compression so the only thing left is spark. Sometimes, if a coil is weak, it will fire the plug in open air but not under compression.

Mad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought another flywheel from RM Stator and installed. Left wires reversed, no spark. Switched wires back to stock and fired right up!

Must be the polarity on the cheap after market ones dont work. Cant see how it would be defective. Just glad that over!!!

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts