ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently bought a 05 sportsman twin 700 efi and noticed that after a 1.5-2 hour ride the engine gets a knocking sound like a tock tock....louder than the normal v-twin sound...it still has all its power and keeps a good temperature, the fan cycles normally. Compression is a little lower on one cylinder 150 on one and 128 on the other ...figured it was a sticky valve, now Maybe it is worse. I am going to change the oil this afternoon with original polaris oil and filter....wondered if I have internal problems or is it normal for this engine. On cold start it is a little klunky but sounds like my 03 600 twin, ,,,dunno.

Hope it is normal but if not would it be a rebuild ...what would it need, rings and re honing, maybe crank bearings....

is there a kit available on the market as an all included rebuild kit for this motor? A friend is a machinist and works soley on engines...so that part would be cheap.
thanks for all who chime in!!!
cheers

·
Banned
377 Posts
Valve lash.....

Valves have to be adjusted if it starts making abnormal noise. It is just taking the valve cover off=which could be a pain depending on the model. My wife just bought a ltr450 and the tapping got worse so we took it to the shop and they said it was normal and you should do routine valve adjustments because it could lead to other pricey damage(They adjusted the valves). Granted it is a race quad with the short piston so it has to be adjusted more often than your quad. If you are mechanically inclined it would be a snap.

This guy really knows his stuff...:thumbsup:
Polaris ATV Valve Adjustment Tips : Polaris ATV Maintenance & Repair Tips | eHow.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts