ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any ideas why my 06sportsman 500 is over heating? I first had trouble when I was riding this summer when the mechanical seal went. I replaced it and it still overheated. Once it over heated the seal started leaking again so I replaced the thermostat thinking that it might be sticking and causing it to overheat. Any body have any ideas where to go from here?

·
Registered
13 Posts
does anybody have any ideas why my 06sportsman 500 is over heating? I first had trouble when I was riding this summer when the mechanical seal went. I replaced it and it still overheated. Once it over heated the seal started leaking again so I replaced the thermostat thinking that it might be sticking and causing it to overheat. Any body have any ideas where to go from here?
Feel your rad the next time you have it up to operating temps, is the whole rad hot? or just where the top or bottom hose is? if this is the case, your rad could be clogged inside. Also pressure wash the hell out of the rad built of mud in the fins will cause it to not cool at all because of ZERO air flowing through it. Im assuming that when you swapped the thermostat, you put in fresh 50/50 coolant? if not get some in there.. You could also try running a flushing substance through the rad, flush it out and add fresh coolant. If you replaced the thermostat, then we know coolant is getting to the rad... I'm gonna say that wither its funked up with mud, or there is an internal blockage..

Actually, how do you know it is overheating? Can you hear the coolant bubbling in the reservoir? is the Gauge blinking HOT? Tell me exactly what happens, play by play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DO NOT PRESSURE WASH THE RADIATOR!!!!

You will bend the fins up, thus reducing the air flow through your radiator. Pull the front grill and screen off, soak the radiator with a standard garden hose, and continue to flush out the radiator. You will probably also want to clean your fan area to make sure your fan can efficiently do its job and pull air through the radiator. If that is not the problem, I would then move to seeing if the internals of the radiator are clogged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
DO NOT PRESSURE WASH THE RADIATOR!!!!

You will bend the fins up, thus reducing the air flow through your radiator.
I always Pressure Wash my rad. Obviously you don't want to be a dumb ***. You wouldn't put it to a setting that will peel the paint when washing a car either.. So you wouldn't crank it up when washing a rad. Jet on a garden hose can bend the fins too :laugh:

Wash the rad thoroughly Its the same cooling system as a car essentially. Maybe try flushing the rad?

·
Registered
48 Posts
pull the fan out and clean back of rad. i dont care how clean it looks from the front the back is still full of mud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts