ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has sat for about 4 or 5 years because the starter solenoid keeps going out been a while since we had it cranked but when we did we had to keep the throttle mashed slightly because if we didn't it would bog down and stop running so i want to get it fixed for my dad he can't walk as far as he used to for hunting anyway id love it if someone could help
If you need any other info let me know

·
Registered
180 Posts
First thing then is to get the starter going reliably.. Solenoids usually last for years.. Are you sure it is a solenoid problem, and not a bad connection in a starter cable, or earth cable, for instance ? You need to use a volt gauge and check from one end on each cable to the other end, while trying the starter. Check the earth cable too. There should be no voltage shown, if there is, the cable has a bad connection between the wire and the terminal on it's end. If those tests show no problems you could bridge across the solenoid and the starter should go. If putting power straight to the starter doesn't make the starter spin, it;s either a faulty starter, or a bad earth. The starters have a set of brushes in them and they wear out pretty regularly.

Once it cranks ok, you should do a standard tune and service before trying to guess/figure why the motor doesn't run right. It may need the carby cleaning, but it could also be valve clearances aren't right, or the aircleaner or exhaust is blocked, or the fuel isn't getting from the tank or into the carby fast enough. Do a tune, including the valve adjustment, fuel filter, spark plug, check the aircleaner's clean, make sure the fuel is fresh, then start it and try warming it up if possible, and take note of how it runs and what keeps it going the best(choke maybe, or very little throttle, or full throttle..).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts