ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I purchased an 07 kodiak 400 with a knocking noise. I decided i would treat it as a project. To find out where the noise was coming from I ispected the belt and clutch, timing chain and they were good. I took the head apart and the cylinder was in good shape but the piston was a bit worn. I reached in and wriggled on the crank and there is no play. The connecting rod however has a bit of side to side play and a small bit of up and down where it attaches to the crank. Is this normal? I ordered the piston and all gaskets but before i put it together I was wondering if maybe this is the cause of the noise. There doesn't seem to be any rough movement or grinding when i turn the crank by hand on it or the connecting rod bearing. Also is it a big job to change the connecting rod bearing if need be?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Side to side play in the rod is normal. ANY up and down play indicates you have a failed lower rod bearing.
You're going to have to replace the rod and/or the crankshaft assembly. This would definitely make the knocking sound you hear.

Mad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts