ATV Forum banner

08 Arctic Cat 650 H1 Problems

13K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Texasroadlawyer 
#1 ·
Hi all,
New to the forum, and would love some insight to a problem that I have been having:

I bought a 08 650 H1 with 1800 miles on it from a local elderly farmer last Spring. Looks and appears to be in great shape. It was running great until the end of the Summer. My son was riding it when is started to backfire unbelievably and then would bog down, and die if you didn't feather the gas and let it sit or catch up. I'd also get an E in the display.

I took it into a local guy that works on UTV/ATVs and he rebuild the carb thinking it was gummed up. He thought he had it dialed in so I picked I picked it up. I took it down the road at about 30 mph for about 1/2 mile and let off the gas and it backfired and it bogged down and I got an E on my screen.

I took it back to the guy and he played with the carb some more, changed the plug, checked the valve clearance, and then installed a new electronic choke. I added fresh gas and it seemed to be better but still had problems after running at high speed for a bit and then let off, still bogs down and I get the E on the screen

I used it to plow this Winter and didn't have too much of a problem, but never probably went over 15 mph.

Took it out two days ago to go clean ditches, we about 30 mph for about 1/2 mile and as before when I let off the gas it bogged down and came to a stop. I let it idle to try and catch it up but that didn't work. I feathered the gas and it dies. I tried to start it and all I got was an E in the gear display. It also would not start unless I pulled the brake in, even though it was in neutral.

I have read about problems with the gear-select switch or sensor (could this be the problem)
I want to have an idea before I bring it to the dealer as with electrical and computers things can get expensive while they are searching for solutions

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

See less See more
#9 ·
Hi all,
New to the forum, and would love some insight to a problem that I have been having:

it sounds like a fuel delivery issue...possibly running lean. Can you tell if its getting hot during the times it is running? Also, I read somewhere several years ago that, in some applications/situations, you fix the E by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.