ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 110cc chinese atv i installed a new vm22 carburetor on it but it ran lean as hell with a high idle and bogged like crazy i have recently tried to start it with the same carburetor and it wouldnt even start it ran for 2 seconds then shut off 2 seconds and off i killed the battery trying to get it to start so i installed the old carburetor that ran perfect before now and manifold with new gaskets it has a high idle and tried to drive away on me i took the idle speed screw all the way out and the idle was still high the choke made it have a idle of like probably 700 rpm by sound i tightned down the intake manifold but there are no torque specs could it be warped and have a vaccum leak or any other ideas it also sometimes makes a weird grinding noise i assume the starter clutch cause its only when cranking and the engine also sounds like it floods at the same time it does the grinding then smoke comes out intake sometimes you can here a pop come back through intake

·
Registered
302 Posts
High idle and popping back through the intake indicate a lean mixture. Get a can of Contact Cleaner. Spray around the manifold and carb while its running. Any change in engine speed will show you where the air leak is.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i will try that tomorrow it is currently raining and i dont want to run the bike in the shed and get everything soaked inside from the rain

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
High idle and popping back through the intake indicate a lean mixture. Get a can of Contact Cleaner. Spray around the manifold and carb while its running. Any change in engine speed will show you where the air leak is.

Mad
Under closer inspection the throttle slide was sticking but it does seem to still backfire through exhaust and intake periodically i have tightened down the carb manifold and carb as well but i had another carb that had the high idle and bogged under any throttle the slide wasnt sticking either on that one and i dont think the gaskets were leaking any ideas?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Like I said. High idle is either something mechanically wrong,( sticking slide, misadjusted screws, idle set screw)
or an air leak. Verify all is mechanically correct with the carb, then search for air leaks. Tightening clamps
down doesn't guarantee you stopped a leak.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said. High idle is either something mechanically wrong,( sticking slide, misadjusted screws, idle set screw)
or an air leak. Verify all is mechanically correct with the carb, then search for air leaks. Tightening clamps
down doesn't guarantee you stopped a leak.

Mad
When i say tightened manifold i mean tightened evenly since the first time i cranked one side down before the other so it may have warped a little i will try and test the other carburetor once i get new gaskets since it uses a different manifold

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question its a 110cc like i said but what are the chances i could take it in like almost foot deep mud
Safely and if not safely what are my concerns i know i need to rtv my stator cover and possibly my valve cover but what are the big concerns

·
Registered
302 Posts
Your stator and valve covers have gaskets. Put some silicone around where the stator wires exit the cover. Other than that you can take it as deep as you want until your intake goes under.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your stator and valve covers have gaskets. Put some silicone around where the stator wires exit the cover. Other than that you can take it as deep as you want until your intake goes under.

Mad
And my wiring? Since its not waterproof

·
Registered
302 Posts
You need to replace those gaskets. Your quad is going to stop when your coils go under water.
There are ways to waterproof stuff involving lots of silicone , but unless you really want to submerge it,
you can usually go through some deep puddles . The bodywork and tank sort of protect the
electrical stuff.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks i was thinking just use rtv for the gaskets instead of the gaskets the stator gasket alone is over 50$ since only a random person on ebay still sells em

·
Registered
302 Posts
$50 ??? That's highway robbery. Go get a sheet of gasket material and cut your own. Not sure if
running with no gasket will cause your rotor to rub on the cover.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah the gasket has been missin for awhile now but i only when through like super small puddles to watch out for the gaskets and the carburetor since i prefer not soak the entire carb with water

ps its an old 110 motor so the gaskets are much different and i only found a single one online and i will try to do some silicone gaskets maker and the paper gaskets plus dialectric grease i might also get on of my family members to weld up a little airbox and run pvc from the carb to the airbox just to have it a little more waterproof

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So mad i was wondering how could i possibly test and see if my oil pump is working because either cam chain or valves are making a slight ticking noise but above idle i cant hear it because of the loud exhaust and i also am asking that question because i have a slight leak out the clutch adjustment screw so i was wondering if the oil fluctuation on the dipstick was the oil pump or leaking

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure on that machine. If it has an oil filter you could try removing the filter and BRIEFLY start the motor
You should see oil shoot out. Leaking could be the oil level is too high.
I just don't know how that motor is laid out and I can't go on Partzilla and look at pictures.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well its like one of the honda 110 clones shere it has the horizontal crank and the piston goes out the front with the clutch and oil pump assembly on the right side of the crank from the rear flywheel and sprocket on left i believe it has an oil screen and a centriugal oil pump

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well its super rare for centrifugal oil pumps to fail. Have you checked valve clearance ?
Loose valves can cause tapping. Or maybe a cam chain guide is worn. I'm not sure what kind of cam chain tensioner you
have but if its stuck the cam chain could get loose and rattle. On some you can take a cap off and gently push
the plunger in a bit if its stuck. If you ever determine that the motor is just worn out and, as you say, its
a Honda clone, look at Lifan motors. Chinese made but pretty good quality. And you can get them in lots
of different displacements.

Mad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry mad when i said centrifugal oil pump i meant oil filter that flings the particulates into a catch area and i have look at the valve timing and either the chain stretched or it skipped a tooth it still runs but it could run better and the ticking is only noticable when the bike is warm so i was assuming valves instead of cam chain the tensioner is hydraulic it uses spring pressure and uses extra oil from the engine to lock the adjustment in so if it got stuck i have doubts thats the only issue

1 - 20 of 27 Posts