ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old 1985 Suzuki LT230GE for my kids to learn on. It ran on starting fluid when I bought it, doesn't smoke, and sounds decent.

I figured it was just a carb rebuild. I bought a cheap Amazon rebuild kit and it wouldn't run.

I bought a better rebuild kit and again, it starts, but shuts off after a second.

I've thoroughly cleaned the carbs, checked the fuel filters, replaced the gas, replaced and gapped the spark plugs, and I believe I set the carb to the correct settings.

I ordered a new fuel pump.

Other than that, I'm lost.

Any ideas? I really want to get this thing running for my kids to ride with me.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well it does sound like a fuel delivery problem. You say it has a fuel pump ? Start by checking the flow from the pump while cranking. Maybe pump diaphragm or lines are bad.

Mad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it does sound like a fuel delivery problem. You say it has a fuel pump ? Start by checking the flow from the pump while cranking. Maybe pump diaphragm or lines are bad.

Mad
Yeah it has a fuel pump that appears to operate off crank case pressure.

Should I just disconnect it from the carb and crank it to see if it pumps fuel out?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes. Try that. You can also verify its a fuel problem by shooting a little starter fluid into the carb. If it runs for a few seconds then it points to a delivery problem. Probably the pump or a blockage. If you're using fuel with ethanol in it, it will slowly melt the old fuel lines and pump diaphragm. Look for collapsed few fuel lines.
I believe that your pump uses a simple diaphragm. Could be torn. It's at that age.

Mad

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I did some checking. If it turns out its the fuel pump Partzilla has a brand new one for $78.36
15100-19B10
EBay has TONS of knockoffs for around $20. I currently have a Chinese carburetor on my Big Bear
and it's running good.
Keep me posted. I'm curious how things go.

Mad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good - I have a fuel pump coming Thursday - I am going to look for collapsed fuel lines now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disconnected the fuel pump and it squirts kind of weakly when pull starting it.

I used starting fluid and it will run for maybe 5 seconds and then sputter and die.

I ordered a fuel pump and a new float for the carb.

The float in the carb is dented (it is a metal one).

I bought all new fuel lines for it today.

I am going to clean out the fuel tank and replace all the fuel lines this week.

In 3 days I will get the new pump and install that.

I will update with each fix and let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Bought a new pump, carb float, and hoses.

I replaced everything.

I am still not getting it to run without starting fluid.

Seems like it isn't getting fuel.

About to sell this thing and move on lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts