ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, New to the site...I recently was given a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 250 that needed some work...I tried to kick it over with no luck. I checked for spark and there was none, so I replaced spark plug and CDI unit as well as the wire from a resistance test. Also replaced the carb. Found timing was off 180 degrees. Fixed that and set valve clearance. Tried kicking over and it sounds like it wants to start, but doesn't kick over. Any suggestions would be helpful! Not too mechanically inclined to diagnose so any help is a lot of help!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
1986,blow in the breather tube on top of tank, they often have trouble getting properly primed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a little small screw located near the bottom of the carburetor bowl. On the bottom of the fuel bowl it had {at least when the bike was new} a small piece of hose that points down and is a drain. Try opening that screw and let the bowl drain for a few seconds. Those were the years Honda used steel gas tanks and this ethanol gas absorbs water. It will go to the bottom of the tank and fill up the fuel bowl. It was bad enough back in the 80's with that gas. In fact, if yours has the steel tank I would definitely suggest getting a plastic one. If not, you will have trouble with water in the gas until you do.
This may not be your problem but it will be a problem with that make/model eventually. They were good bikes all around other than that. I had a 250SX three wheeler {same engine} that I used until 2005. It still ran perfect and I wish I had never sold it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts