ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My wife and I just bought our first four wheeler. It's a 1994 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4 with a plow. Now we only paid $580cdn for it and knew it had a few issues.

The first of which is 2nd gear doesn't work. Do I need a whole new transmission to fix this problem or can that gear be swapped out.

The second and more frustrating issue is that in low and 1st gear if your just puttering around at low rpms it sputters a bit. once you get a little higher in the rpms it works fine as well as 3rd and 4th gear seem to be ok.

Any ideas on how to fix these problems?

Thanks,
Caleb

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Call you dealership to see how much it will cost for trans repair. as far as it stuttering it could have bad gas, need air filter cleaned, bad fuel filter, Carb adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Foolishly I topped up the tank without first draining the fuel that was in it...however there really wasn't a whole lot. The air filter looks ok, i've sprayed the carb with carb cleaner, and I'm not sure where the fuel filter is on this model.

Is it also possible that it could be a spark issue?

I'm not overlly worried about the whole no 2nd gear thing at the moment. I would like that fixed before winter, but would also like to know if it is possible to just switch out third gear or would I need a whole transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well now I've got bigger problems. I took it for a short ride yesterday and just as I got into the pit past my neighbours house I came to a stop and it Kawie died on me and now won't restart. I had been playing with the idling adjuster earlier and it was working better than before, but now won't start at all. I've got fire, and when I pour gas into the cylinder and replace the spark plug it still won't start.

Any ideas. on how to get it started to atleast get it the 1 minute drive back to the house?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts