ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Yamaha Wolverine YFM350FXJ that I purchased. I know the history on the atv. A friend owned it, it was stolen and taken up north. The police recovered it about 2 years later.

It was smoking real bad, spitting, not idling, and not revving. so I took engine apart and found piston and cylinder were in spec. but the rings were worn out. So I bought a set of rings, gaskets, honed the cylinder and put them in.

The problem I had after replacing rings, is Spitting back when the throttle was increased it would only idle with throttle barely pressed. The I cleaned the original High permormance carb and got it to run and rev but it would not idle. So I took it apart again soaked it in carb cleaner, used a tip cleaner kit to clean all the jets. That carb had a stopped up tube in the idle that I could not get cleaned.

So I purchase a new carb and put on it. The the 1997 manual listed two carbs, one is a high performance carb and the other is a standard performance. The only carb I found using the part number from the manual was listed as a 1995 high performance and appeared to be identical to the one that was on the ATV. So I purchased this carb, well when carb came in I started to put it on and found a cracked carb intake manifold so ordered a new one. It took 3 weeks to get it in this made the carb warranty go out.

I put the new carb on and found the darn needle sticking closed shutting fuel off so I took it back off and checked the needle and seat could not see anything wrong but found the bowl bottom had some sort of corrosion in it. So I cleaned it up and put carb back on it ran good for about a week(grand kids ran it) then they had to go home lol so it sat for about 4 days until I got a chance to ride some but wham needle was stuck again so I opened carb up and found same thing corrosion in bowl. Now I had already at start of the repair drained the tank, cleaned the pit-tuck valve, put new fuel filter on and replaced the fuel lines. I have unstuck the needle about 4 times now and I have replaced the needle it does same thing.

My Problem is I can not find out which carb originally came on this ATV. Was it a high performance or a standard carb? Reason is I don't want to purchase another high performance if a standard performance had been replaced with a high performance carb. This would account for some of the problems I am having.

Any advice would be welcome. I have already got 600$ tied up in it and need to keep it below 800$. So I have some leeway but not much.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1997 Yamaha Wolverine YFM350FXJ that I purchased. I know the history on the atv. A friend owned it, it was stolen and taken up north. The police recovered it about 2 years later.

It was smoking real bad, spitting, not idling, and not revving. so I took engine apart and found piston and cylinder were in spec. but the rings were worn out. So I bought a set of rings, gaskets, honed the cylinder and put them in.

The problem I had after replacing rings, is Spitting back when the throttle was increased it would only idle with throttle barely pressed. The I cleaned the original High permormance carb and got it to run and rev but it would not idle. So I took it apart again soaked it in carb cleaner, used a tip cleaner kit to clean all the jets. That carb had a stopped up tube in the idle that I could not get cleaned.

So I purchase a new carb and put on it. The the 1997 manual listed two carbs, one is a high performance carb and the other is a standard performance. The only carb I found using the part number from the manual was listed as a 1995 high performance and appeared to be identical to the one that was on the ATV. So I purchased this carb, well when carb came in I started to put it on and found a cracked carb intake manifold so ordered a new one. It took 3 weeks to get it in this made the carb warranty go out.

I put the new carb on and found the darn needle sticking closed shutting fuel off so I took it back off and checked the needle and seat could not see anything wrong but found the bowl bottom had some sort of corrosion in it. So I cleaned it up and put carb back on it ran good for about a week(grand kids ran it) then they had to go home lol so it sat for about 4 days until I got a chance to ride some but wham needle was stuck again so I opened carb up and found same thing corrosion in bowl. Now I had already at start of the repair drained the tank, cleaned the pit-tuck valve, put new fuel filter on and replaced the fuel lines. I have unstuck the needle about 4 times now and I have replaced the needle it does same thing.

My Problem is I can not find out which carb originally came on this ATV. Was it a high performance or a standard carb? Reason is I don't want to purchase another high performance if a standard performance had been replaced with a high performance carb. This would account for some of the problems I am having.

Any advice would be welcome. I have already got 600$ tied up in it and need to keep it below 800$. So I have some leeway but not much.

Thanks
I have the same exact atv and the same year, oem carburetor is discontinued.. I tried Chinese hight performance carb and didn't fit, throttle cable comes from top of carburetor don't fit under gas tank, anyways if you find a good matching one please let me know, desperately trying to fix mine..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t see any maker name listed by either of you.....but I can tell you that the cheap Chinese carbs are often junk and don’t work.....in Most cases it’s far better to rebuild the original carb, especially if it’s a Mikuni as they are high quality carbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts