ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My big bear is getting hard to shift out of reverse. And out of first into neutral. What is the problem and solution?

·
Registered
82 Posts
On my Big Bear, the spherical bearings on the external shifter were shot. Extra slop made it not want to shift. I replaced the external shift parts and it works great now.

Mad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My big bear is getting hard to shift out of reverse. And out of first into neutral. What is the problem and solution?
Thanks MAD, as soon as i figure out what linkage you are talking about, I will check it out for slop. My problem is, the quad is at camp and I just got back from deer season there. So it will be after Christmas before I get back up there. I have a good Clymers manual for this machine but it does not mention anything like that problem in there. I will let you know what I find. By the way, I have a plow for my big bear. The awd on that is unstoppable! hahd!
I hope the knee is heeling well!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the support Pappy. Knee is slowly getting better.
The linkage I'm talking about is the external set of rods and the shift pedal on the left side of the quad. You only have to remove one small cover to get to everything. There are 2 shift rods that have spherical bearings at the ends. Those wear out. Then the shifter moves but the slop in the mechanism doesn't actually make anything happen. On mine, the previous owner had actually ran a bolt right through one of the worn out bearings. I could only get First gear and was almost impossible to get back in neutral. Changed the shift pedal( turned out I could have probably used that) and both shift rods and spherical bearings. Was happy to find that now I could get all gears and reverse.
Let me know how you do

Mad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mad. Mine is a 350. I see some models have a high and low range lever. Mine does not. I am anxious to get up to camp after the holiday to check it out. Take care of the knee. Go to pt and do the exersices. My daughter works at a pt and says the failures are mostly related to not following pt and exercise programs. Have a happy holiday. PappyJJ.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine doesn't have a High Low either. Just a left side shift lever. Neutral is all the way down. Then 5 up. To get reverse you have to turn a knob on the dash and push down one more. Hope this helps

Mad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Mad. I looked at the cover by the shift lever. From rear end of lever, goes to a ball joint, up a linkage to a ball joint, a linkage to the end of the shift shaft that goes into the tranny, I guess. This is what is exposed externally. There is no play in any of the joints. The linkages have no play at all. Is the tranny lubed by the engine oil? I am curious, if the tranny has it's own fluid, maybe it needs changed.I read through the chiltons and I did not see the linkage rods with the spherical bearings that you referred to. In reading about side cover removal, It did not sound like what you described to me as to where to find the linkages with the bearings. And it explained about copper washers and other washers that had to be recognised and not lost, rubber gasket to be replaced, and the oil had to be drained before removing cover.That just does not sound like the same machine that you have, unless I totally misunderstood your description. And you are very thorough. There are no leaks on this machine anywhere. I changed the oil and oil filter last year.
Also, what is the stud with the jamb nut on the tranny side cover for? It has a increase and decrease with directional arrows. ??
Sorry for being a pain in the butt to you, but you are the only person replying to not just my posts, but a lot more members posts. And you seem to be very knowledgable about more than just Yamahas. Thanks mad, I appreciate your input. Happy new year, and I hope the wheel is healing and not being very painful, like my daughters is. Hahd!
Pappy JJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe you can email me a picture of that linkage.
[email protected]
The screw with the writing next to it is for a clutch adjustment. Later today ill try to get out to the garage and look in my manual on how to adjust it. It's possible that could help. On my 400, the engine and transmission oil were all together. Make sure the oil quantity is correct. To access what I've been describing, you shouldn't have to remove any big covers. I removed one very small cover right behind the shifter. No oil behind it.
I think it's probably something simple. It sure sounds like excessive slop somewhere.

Mad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok. From my service manual.
On the screw with "Decrease Increase" written next to it.
Loosen lock nut.
Turn the adjustment screw COUNTERCLOCKWISE until resistance is felt then stop.
Turn adjustment screw CLOCKWISE 1/8 of a turn.
Hold the screw and tighten the lock nut.
This sets clearance on the manual clutch pack.
Hope this helps

Mad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok. More information

I went to Partzilla. Your 350 has the exact same shift linkage as mine. On mine I replaced
#40 Shift pedal assembly 4KB-18110-20-00 ( I think that comes with one ball joint on it. )
#34. Shift Arm. 4KB-18112-01-00 ( comes with other ball joint)
#37. Shift Rod 36Y-18115-00-00 ( can probably use the old one)
The cover I removed was under "Crankcase Cover" 4KB-15421-00-00.
Look to see if the shift arm is hitting that cover. The shift rod is threaded on both ends. When you spin it it adjusts things. Or possibly you'll need to take the shift arm off and move it one spline.
Anyhoo, keep me posted.

Mad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the new info. When I go up camp, I will take a pic of shift lever area. Also, I will get the info of the plow. I have had it for about 20 years! It works well until you get so much snow that there is no place to push it all. If you have a long lane or driveway that you can run with it pushing snow to the side in one direction, then turn around and run back, that works fine. But for my drive way, 250' long, I prefer the snow blower. The reason being, the turning radius of the big bear vs the ability to turn the snow blower in a close circle. You know what I mean? I will get back to you in a week. Hahd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts