ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I GOT A 98 TIMBERWOLF LOW HOURS MAYBE 60 OR SO GARAGE KEPT SINCE IT WAS NEW. I HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING IN REVERSE FROM DRIVE AND VICE VERSA, THERE IS NO GRINDING AT ALL AND ITS IN 1ST GEAR BUT I HAVE TO KEEP MOVING THE LEVER BACK AND FORTH UNTIL IT WANTS TO WORK. IS THERE AN ADJUSTMENT?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reverse forward Shift has an adjustable linkage. The linkage has two lock nuts that lock the center nut in place to adjust loosen both lock nuts and turn the center nut to extend or shorten the arm length. Inside the Transmission is a fork that this linkage moves to shift it from forward to reverse. This could be misadjusted or the fork is broken inside transmission. I had one with same problem and it was wear on the fork causing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is a difficult one. You need a manual on it to follow the instructions. I have a manual but not sure it is exactly like your machine. Chapter 6 gives the middle gear service which this reverse forward is a part of. Page 6.1, 6.2 give a parts break down and the following give instructions. The fork I am talking about is part 17. The side cover has to be removed to get to those parts. Now exactly how much has to be torn down I am not sure of because I did not repair the one I had but I had studied the problem out and was going to repair it but A man wanted the 250 like it was and the offer was a good one so I sold it to him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts