ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 a friend gave me when he cleaned out his barn. I rebuilt the carb, repainted parts of it, put in a new battery and selenoid, changed oil/filter, etc., and have been enjoying it for a couple of years.

I keep it on a battery maintainer when not riding.

Yesterday, when I got it out of the barn, the neutral light would not come on and the electric starter would not work. But it cranked right up using the pull handle.

When running, the neutral light comes on weakly and gets weaker if you rev the engine.
I parked it and later everything worked fine. The third time, I was back to no light and no start, having to use the rope pull.

The reverse indicator light works fine and is bright when running the engine
  • The selenoid fuses are fine.
  • I checked the two wires that run to the engine case by the shifter and both are connected. Wiggling them doesn't make the light come on. Wiggling the gear shift makes no difference, either.
  • I put a battery charger on it overnight and the battery is fully charged. But no change in the issues this morning.
  • When running, the alternator is not sending a charge to the battery, I found, after putting a voltmeter on it when running. - The voltmeter stays the same, at less than 13 volts, when revving the engine.

Any guidance on this is appreciated. If I figure it out in the meantime, I will post the fix.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, upon further research, it appears to be the selenoid. I just jumped it and the engine turned over. Now the neutral light is on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you don't see an increase in voltage at the battery, ( around 13-14 v) your charging system is not working.
Most likely culprit being the regulator/rectifier. But possibly the stator

Mad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts