ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 bikes. One is a 2002 Honda 350 trx and the other is a 2000 ES. They are really the same bike just different shifting and year. The 2002 starts hard in the wintertime. I have to crank it over for a minute or more until it fires and then the battery is dead. I cleaned the carb and adjusted it and doesn't help. The 2000, on the other hand, starts within the first few cranks with not a lot of choke. What could be the difference? Once they are warmed up and ridden a little they are fine. Any Ideas? I posted about this a month ago on another forum with no responses.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We have a old fourtrax 300 that has a primer pump on the bottom of the carb. If I don’t pump it a few times when it’s cold it will do just like you describe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. I'll try that. the carb is off atm as I figured I'd clean it while replacing the rear oil seal. I noticed the primer was not working as it was stuck so I cleaned it out now it pumps.

Another question, As I removed the swing arm to replace the oil seal, I did notice that the swing arm bolt was missing the lock nut. Not sure why it didn't have one. Maybe I can do without it if it's gone this long without it? Not sure where to find one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got to bikebandit.com. They have exploded diagrams of just about every machine. You can tell if you are missing any parts. Prices are usually better than a dealer also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I got it all back together and tried the primer, but didn't seem to make much of a difference.
Also when it did start it was smoking a lot. Not sure if that's just because of it not running in a while or what. Never smoked before. Can't see an oil leak and putting new oil in it causing it to burn oil and smoke. Couldn't tell if it was blue or not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
He long since it’s been ran. Sometimes the valve seals will get dried out and hard causing oil to seep into the cylinder causing it to smoke. Usually after some oil gets to them they will soften back up and seal off and stop smoking. Usually 15 minutes of riding or less will do the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only been a few weeks since I parked it and left it. I'll get it out sometime and drive it around and see how it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts