ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first ATV. I believe the rear diff is not engaging as only the front wheels spin. I hear a clicking coming from the rear when i drive around the yard. What could it be? Where is the best place to find parts? Is it easy enough to fix or should i take it in?
I purchased a haynes manual but it seems to be very vague in terms of the year and models it refers to. Is there a better manual out there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
q455923354

ust bought my first ATV. I believe the rear diff is not engaging as only the front wheels spin. I hear a clicking coming from the rear when i drive around the yard. What could it be? Where is the best place to find parts?http://www.uggsbootshotsale.com/
I purchased a haynes manual but it seems to be very vague in terms of the year and models it refers to. Is there a better manual out there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi mark. im guessing that they would turn considering that they turn fine when i drive it in the yard (meaning that they are free). I did find out that the guy that had it before me thinks that this problem happened due to a guy he lent it to driving it on the pavement alot. does this sound right? if so does it shed anymore light on the issue?

also, im sorry but im not to automotively inclined, but i am not sure what "spun the spline" means. do you mean that the teeth on the rear diff are all worn down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
the wheels sould not turn if your bike is in 4wheel drive
i just had this prob with a big bear 93
the sline is a bunch of groves on the c3enter of the rear axle that meash with the crown gear in the rear diff. over time if you dont grease it they rust and wear off.
i am assuming you have a solid rear axle and not independ suspention
i found this prob by lifting all 4 tires off the ground and running the bike in gear you hear the grind or just turn by hand
if this is your prob i found i guy in qubec to rebuild for 300+shipping
let me know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i see what your getting at. If the back wheels turn then this is more than likely the issue (the spline). Did you check out how much this would cost to get fixed at a yamaha shop? I guess what im getting at is.... Is 300 + shipping for your guy in quebec a good deal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts