ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 Kodiak 400. I took the carburetor apart, cleaned it well, and installed new jets, float valve and pilot set screw. It idles fine but bogs down when I throttle it. However when I throttle it and cover the air intake almost completely it runs great which tells me it's running lean without me covering the intake. I set the pilot screw to 2 3/4 turns off from bottom. I think I installed the diaphragm/slide/needle set correctly but not sure. I tried setting the retainer clip at the top of the needle grooves, the bottom of the needle grooves, and the middle...same result. I have the same problem whether the air filter (K&N) is on or off. Anyone had a similar problem or know what I can try next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there just wondering if you got anything figures out? I'm having the exact same issue with a 350 Big Bear, It has a 1.5" Snorkel that I half covered to make it run right for now, like to fix it properly though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. Apparently when the previous owner replaced the original air filter with a K&N he also installed a larger main jet to compensate for the increased air flow. The main jet that came with the carburetor kit I ordered was the same size as the Kodiak's original one, which was now too small because of the K&N. I cleaned the old jet (the bigger one) and reinstalled it and it runs like a top again.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
rejet the carb

yes rejecting the carb will solve the problem. Changing an air filter or installing a snorkel will require changing the jets in the carb most times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts