ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a couple atv's.
I am interested in the older polaris models due the automatic/CVT transmissions.

Are they all 2 stroke? Are they louder than 4 stroke (may be my biggest concern do to wherewe will ride)? Less reliable?

Any significant difference between models with the same engine size.

It seems like the only difference is the plastics.

I have/had a lot of 2 stroke snowmobiles.and jetskis but not sure if a 2 stroke in an ATV is a good thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally have a 2001 Polaris scrambler 400, they’re really hit and miss reliability wise. Some are bulletproof others are junk, just gotta get lucky. They eat through exhaust gaskets due to backfires, they’re little donuts that sit between the exhaust sections. They are louder than four strokes but not terrible, hence why you probably will want a couple exhaust gaskets on hand, they get very loud when they go. Get rid of the oil injection and mix 32:1 klotz supertechniplate. Definitely recommend them although, good luck finding one with working back brakes haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Water pumps commonly go bad on them as well, the gaskets for them go. If you get one and ever have any issues with it let me know, I’ve had one for two years and I know the ins and outs of them, (I got unlucky and got an unreliable one) buddy of mine has a 2002 scrambler and it never lets him down. They’ve got a stupid amount of power and tons of torque for a two stroke, if you gun the throttle on pavement you’ll be dragging the rear pull handle lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts