ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend was riding my atv and he was taking it pretty easy. He came to a stop sign and started to slow down and it just died. It had gas and the battery was all good the fuses are good it is rolling over and all the lights are on when I turn the key. So I got my friend to pull me with his atv and tried to bomb start it. It took a while but it would start a few times and then shut off. Then I finally did get it started but in order to keep it running I really had to re3v it high to keep it running. Then I havent been able to get it started since. When I did get it started and had to rev it really high there was some blue smoke coming out but not really all that much. I drained that gas and didnt seam to be any water in it which I thought it would have been. It got cold so all I been able to do so far is drain it and start to remove the carb. I am gonna check the carb to see if there is a problem there but it looks fine once I had the airbox off. I think it is a gas problem but I am not sure and was wondering what you guys think? My friends thought it was the spark plug but its 4 stroke and its only like 9 years old the possibilities of that plug blowing aree like 1 in a 1000. Anyways what do you guys think it is? The guy driving it said it didnt make any bangs or any sounds when it shut off it just stopped. So what do you think it is?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
plugs can go bad any time. depends on plug and driving habits, starting habits. didyou check compression? could be a bad ring or something. you said blue smoke and that usually means oil. Saber6 will give you some better tech tips and checks. Sorry about your quad. hopefully you get it going soon and it is a cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the compression is good in it. all my friends think its the stator or magnetto. what is the difference? or is there a difference?

·
Registered
56 Posts
now that you mention it the same thing happened to the big bear at where i work it was the magneto that did it there. It was running fine all day then out of the blue it just cut out and would not run. I am not sure on what your problem is but that is what happened to us. Maybe this info will help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts