ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking about putting a 440 big bore kit into my 2001 400ex that recently blew up. could buy a kit that comes with piston and sleeve for $300 or buy a bigger piston for $70 and get the existing jug bored out for cheaper than the piston and sleeve kit. whats better????? i also heard that these kits make it easier to blow up in the future, is it true??? need help!! please leave comments or thoughts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I like to keep things kinda stock. more reliable. but if i was to do it i would go with a 416 or 426 kit. its not as big and it will have less over heating issues and it will not stress the bolts holding all that together. my uncle bored a 400 out to 1 440 and he put a high compression piston in it and it lasted about a season of trail riding. i drag raced him on my stock 400 and he wooped my @$$ my stock 450r beat on him. but it was fast. But it bulled the head bolts right out of the block. so if you do make it a 440 investigate and make sure you get all the work done because you could have an issue like that. in dirt wheels magazine they ussually have a company in the back that does restud the 400s to make them hold up better. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts