ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine bought this four wheeler bout a year ago and it’s always had this issue where it’ll only go 35mph and then it starts to sputter and runs terrible which was the issue I’ve been working on for him. However I rebuilt the carb and took it for a test ride (which still had the same issue) but then it died and now it acts like it has a dead battery, no lights or anything come on. Battery has just under 13V. I replaced the solenoid, cdi box, checked all fuses. Still nothing, I have been working on this for nearly a month and I’m just so lost on this one. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! This has me about to rip out my hair it’s no annoying but it’s probably something so simple. Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
First thing is to find out where the electrical power is getting cut. You should first up check the earth wire is good, then download a manual and start tracing the power from the battery to the key of fuses or wherever the manual shows you it goes to.

If fixing the electrical problem doesn't cure the bad running, we can address that next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing is to find out where the electrical power is getting cut. You should first up check the earth wire is good, then download a manual and start tracing the power from the battery to the key of fuses or wherever the manual shows you it goes to.

If fixing the electrical problem doesn't cure the bad running, we can address that next.
Also I forgot to mention that it will crank if I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver

·
Registered
140 Posts
Which means the man/big battery leads and earth wires or ok, but you still need to do as I say and follow the small wires that supply the key and everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which means the man/big battery leads and earth wires or ok, but you still need to do as I say and follow the small wires that supply the key and everything.
I had a eureka moment about that four wheeler which goes right along with what you were saying. I was working on my own kodiak which as had an issue of the fan not functioning and it lead me to the ignition cylinder which when I tested it, the side that powers everything was good but the side for the fan was bad so I ordered a new cylinder and it made me think about his, so I pulled it and sure enough it was the same deal but the opposite! Thanks a lot, I ordered parts and will update once I get it in

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well it could be shorted , in which case it should blow a fuse I'd think, or there could be a break in a wire.

Have a read in Cdi question... down a few posts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts