ATV Forum banner

2002 50cc 2 stroke quadmaster

685 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Mech 
#1 ·
I am working on a 50cc suzuki 2 stroke that ran when parked a couple years ago. The key was lost so I went ahead and ordered a new ignition for it and a new carb since it had set with gas in it so long aswell as a spark plug. I only get spark to the plug with the ignition off and loose it shortly after, I tried another new ignition with the same problem and also made sure it wasn't just hooked backwards. I completely unhooked the ignition and it still starts and the ignition wires will shock you. Could this be a internal short in the stator or coil? What am I missing?

#2 ·
It sounds like the new ignition switch is not right.
The switch, all of the switches, ignition, kill, and emergency in fact, short the two wires together to kill the spark, and open circuit them to let it run. I'd suspect your new switch is connecting them when it's in the on position, and disconnecting them when it's on stop.

#3 ·
It sounds like the new ignition switch is not right.
The switch, all of the switches, ignition, kill, and emergency in fact, short the two wires together to kill the spark, and open circuit them to let it run. I'd suspect your new switch is connecting them when it's in the on position, and disconnecting them when it's on stop.

That was my first guess, but after a couple new different brands of ignition it's still doing the same thing. With the ignition completely taken off the quad completely unhooked it still starts and runs for a moment then looses spark

#4 ·
Oh.. That's not what I got from your first post.. haha

And it does this consistently, always the same number of seconds running ?

Well, it's more likely to be the cdi than the stator I'd think, but it could the sparkplug. It could also be the sparkplug cap or lead.

If it seems more random it could be a wiring issue.

If you do the tests on the stator as suggested in that manual, it should eliminate everything and leave the cdi as the culprit.

If the test results seem ok, then, given it's sat for a long time, it would be a good idea to pull the flywheel off and check inside for flakes of rust. Even a tiny flake of rust, if it swings away from the magnet it's stuck to, and touches the pole of the generating coil, can stop the charging or ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.