ATV Forum banner

2003 Arctic Cat 90 questions and help needed

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SMurphy$$63 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2003 Arctic Cat 90 (2 stroke) that will not start. It has spark but that is as far as I have gotten. The previous owner put a new carb and reeds in it. It has been ridden hard so I suspect it could be low on compression. That is what I plan to check this week. I have several questions. Is this engine identical to any other engine on the market? Such as Polaris, Suzuki, etc? What should the compression be in this engine. Is there anything else I should look for before considering a rebuild? Thanks

#3 ·
you can determine if it is a fuel issue by giving it a shot of carb cleaner and attempting to start. Not starting fluid - its not a diesel tractor. If the ignition is good it should start and then quit or at least stumble. If it does you'll need to go through the fuel system to make sure it's clean. No water. Filter good. Fuel lines clear. If all that is good and you can verify the carb has fuel getting to it ( crack the bowl drain) if nothing comes out the needle is stuck in the seat. Clean carb. If it does and still nothing - main jet could be clogged. Clean carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.