ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon! After doing some research on an issue I was having getting my Big Bear to start, I replaced the starter relay. Once the part came in and I installed, she fired right up. Easy fix (I thought)!!

I then took her out on a trail to find that she won't stay idling. As soon as I release the throttle, she wants to stall and die. It then takes several attempts to start her again to only stall again.

I didn't have this issue before I changed the starter relay.

The background information regarding why I changed the starter relay..... I couldn't get the ATV to start/crank. I found that if I removed the seat cover and messed with the starter relay I could get the neutral light to come on and the ATV would startup. No issues when running once started, but I would have to go through the exercise of messing with the starter relay after shutdown every time.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This does not sound like an electrical problem. Did the big bear set up any length of time say 3 months or more, before you tried to start it that first time? Does it have fuel filter? This sounds like the idle jet is stopped up in the carb. Easy to test. pull choke out 1/8 of the way and barely press throttle then start holding throttle barely open. If it cranks and idles a little high then the carb is your problem. The problem with fuel is if fuel sets in a container, in a tank at a station or even on a barge for 3 months then it starts to break down. If you use this older fuel then two things number one is the engine does not run as good and number 2 there is a residue that is left behind in carb and tank. this residue will crystalize and stop the jets up. From your description I believe a good cleaning of the carb will fix your problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The start relay will have nothing to do with the way it runs. I agree with the above info about the carb.

Mad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts