ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 03 Kawasaki Prairie 650 beat up to fix up. The issues i was told it had was it needed a new drive belt and the 2wd/4wd switch was broken and needed to be changed. The quad does drive but it doesnt go over 10 mph and stays very slow. I just wanted to see if anybody here thinks theres a much deeper problem with it and if its worth fixing up, the back of my head is telling me the belt isnt fully responsible for the gear and speed issue. Anything helps, just dont wanna bite off more than I can handle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the engine rev up fully ? If it does I'd suspect the belt and pulley system.

Mad

Thanks for the reply, When its neutral it does rev fully but when you put into drive it revs like a car stuck in first gear and the rpms stay at the max of that gear

·
Registered
302 Posts
So its not changing speed or revs. I'd look at the belt and pulley system. Maybe the pulleys are seized and not moving
so its basically stuck in Low. Could also be the weights in the pulleys

Mad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its not changing speed or revs. I'd look at the belt and pulley system. Maybe the pulleys are seized and not moving
so its basically stuck in Low. Could also be the weights in the pulleys

Mad
Just changed the belt, Same problem, doesnt shift stuck in first gear i believe, Revs up to the max of that gear and then just crackles and pops, I didnt inspect the pulleys but ill look into it more

1 - 5 of 5 Posts