ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced efi codes 46 & 46 for tmap sensor high/low voltage ? Replaced plug & pigtail to no avail..checked more wiring but could find no worn spots...Before I buy a $80 map sensor, does anyone have any ideas...Thanks in advance..this is wearing me out !!!
jh

·
Banned
377 Posts
Polaris Sportsman 500....

Diagnostic Codes....;)
21 Loss of Synchronization
22 TPS Circuit: Open and Short To Ground
22 TPS Circuit: Short To Battery
23 RAM Error: Defective ECU
25 Transmission Input - Invalid Gear
26 Vehicle Speed Sensor - Implausible
41 Air Temp Sensor: Open or Short Circuit to Sensor Voltage (ECU)
41 Air Temp Sensor: Short Circuit to Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Short To Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open or Short to Battery
45 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit Low Input
46 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit High Input
51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Battery
52 Injector 2: Open Load
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Ground
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Battery
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Open Load
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Battery
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Open Load
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit To Battery
56 Pump Relay Open Load
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Ground
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Battery
58 Cooling Fan: Open Load
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Ground
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Battery
61 End of Diagnostic

·
Banned
377 Posts
Error Code 46......

46 = Vehicle system power supply (Monitoring voltage) Power supply is not normal.
Power supply to the fuel injection system is not normal.
Should be able to start and drive.

*Check your connections on the main wiring harness and ECU coupler

*Check your battery

*Check for a malfunction in the rectifier

*Look for open or short circuit in the wiring harness

*Check between main switch coupler and battery lead (red-red)

*Check between main switch coupler and ignition fuse (brown/blue - brown.blue)

*Check between ignition fuse and ECU (brown-brown)

*Just some things that the service manual recommends checking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For the code list Trikemaster,,,already had them...I just need some ideas of where to look for more possibly bad wiring in the harness before I buy a $80 sensor...Just wondered if anyone else had run into this problem..Thanks again !! jh

·
Banned
377 Posts
That is a TMAP Temp/Metered Air Pressure Sensor. it is the Barometric air pressure sensor and Air Temp sensor all in one sensor. You will find it under the seat in the air intake tube between the throttle body and air box. They had a problem with the wiring harness
braking the wires on that sensor. That causes the FI light to come on due to the broken wire not having the proper voltage to that sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, but that's a great idea... Going to try to work on it tonight..Thanks again for your help...jh

·
Banned
377 Posts
If you ever get the 84 code.....:thumbsup:
Wash really good behind the front right wheel. There is a sensor there that counts the wheel rotations to come up with the right speed on the digital display. If that sensor gets blocked by mud it will throw the code. Happen to be, washed it up good, and cod goes away.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Tmap.....

I think this is what your lookin for....
Check the wires at the T-map connector with a meter....1 should be ground..1 should be 5V reference signal,the others is sensor output signal..basically if any of the wires have more than 5v that is a problem. If none have more than 5v..check the output voltage(connector connected to sensor..probe back of connector)..if it matches the reference signal(basically if you get the reference voltage on more than one wire_..ie it is a straight connection to the reference signal then the sensor is likely internally shorted and the ECM is recognizing that the input and output voltage is the same as the output voltage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok,, You hit it that time,,already checked voltage at the sensor & I think ref & input were both 5v. So sensor must be bad... thanks jh..

·
Banned
377 Posts
Damn, Finally:laugh: I knew if I kept pokin I'd get it sooner or later...lol
The map has a hole in the bottom of it to read air pressure and density and if it has anything blocking it it will idle terrible:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Trikemaster,,,How come you're so smart ??? I spent $50.00 on a Polaris "Official" tech manual & it only told me if the wiring/pigtail was good I would have replace the sensor or take it to a dealer for diagnosis...How long have you been doing this ? jh

·
Banned
377 Posts
I also have a bad time with the dealer and paying so much.
A funny story: Everytime I go to the local dealership to have my paddles changed=they put them on wrong....lol Backwards
I have never owned a quad, I've rode them before. My wife just bought a LTR450 witch hauls balls. I want to see her race another woman besides her sister....they both bought new 450's....Those two are nuts....
I love Mechanical stuff. I have rebuilt allot of cars+engines. I am a State Certified General Journeyman Electrician(10Yrs). I love taking stuff apart and putting it back together. Once you get a basic understanding on how a engine works...it pretty easy. And I love helping fellow off roaders.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok Trikemaster, I checked voltage to the back of the tmap sensor plug...5volt input & 2.9volt output...you think the sensor is shorted or is that what the output voltage should be ????

·
Banned
377 Posts
1: Inspect the rubber nipple (fitting) from the MAP sensor to the throttle body. Repair as necessary. CAUTION: When testing the MAP sensor, be sure that the harness wires are not damaged by the test meter probes.
2: Test the MAP sensor output voltage at the MAP sensor connector terminal B. With the ignition switch ON, and the engine OFF. Output voltage should be 4 to 5 volts.
3: Test the MAP sensor output voltage at the MAP sensor connector terminal B at a hot, neutral idle speed condition. The voltage should drop to 1.5 to 2.1 volts.
Test MAP sensor supply voltage at sensor connector terminal C with the ignition ON. The voltage should be approximately 5 volts (±O.5 V).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only checked it engine off,key on= 2.8 volts....I'll check it engine on today...Thanks again Trikemaster,,,been a big help,,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts