ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine won't start on my 2006 Honda. The 4 wheeler sat for 6 months or so, and it had been used with Ethanol gasoline (and not put up with gas saver treatment either). I'll begin with >> I am ignorant about these engines and carbs, so I used online videos to help with cleaning it up. I couldn't find anything specifically on this Honda carb either.

I got a carb rebuild kit and proceeded to clean the gas tank out, clean the fuel switch (on/off/res), etc. I ended up using only the gaskets for the rebuild. I didn't want to swap out Honda jets, or float valve elements with knock-offs. I took carb cleaner and used some individual strands of bicycle cable to clean out the jets. I'm not familiar with all the set screws, etc., so I don't know exactly what these should be set at.

When I attempted to crank it, the engine turned over, but wouldn't crank. I was getting fuel to the carb for sure. I identified the screw that bleeds the carb bowl, and fuel flowed out of hose.

I removed the throttle cable assembly from the top of the carb and sprayed Starter Fluid spray in there. It cranked and ran just enough to burn it off, but wouldn't stay running.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. My knowledge is limited, as well as the terminology, etc., but I am pretty analytical and think logically.

Thanks! >> Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like your getting gas to the carb bowl but not any further. I would take it back apart and use the new jets and float. It should have came with a new needle valve also. Clean all of the small holes in the carb with cleaner with the tube that comes with it attached. It you put the tube in a hole and spray it should come out somewhere if not try a small piece of wire

1 - 3 of 3 Posts