ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Have a problem with 2WD/4WD switching. Some background first...

Last winter, rolled the bike in a creek. Bike was submerged for an hour or so. After pulling the bike out thanks to a friend, brought it home, cleaned it up real well, reassembled it. Runs fine except....

Ended up with a diagnostic code that indicated the Engine Brake Actuator failed (4WD light flashing. 1 second on, 1 second off). Ran through the troubleshooting section of the manual and ended up replacing both the Actuator Controller as well as the Engine Brake Actuator. Bike runs fine now and no diagnostic codes however still recovering from the reality of parts prices. However, when shifting between 2WD and 4WD, the 4WD light does not come on. Again.. no diagnostic code displayed on the 4WD LED. Check the ohm readings on the 2WD/4WD actuator, all within specification. Checked actuator position. That's fine. Checked 2WD/4WD switch. That's fine. What I do find interesting and troubling is the voltage output for the Speed Sensor. At the Actuator Controller, with the ignition switch on and following the procedure, the output voltage (Terminal 5 and Terminal 10) only reads between .1V and 1.2V when rotating the tires. Further testing of the Actuator Controller itself with the speed sensor disconnected is only 1.2V. Manual says it should read 5V+/- 0.25V. This is a brand new OEM controller. So although the voltage range for the Speed Sensor is out of spec, the voltage to the Speed Sensor from the Controller is not right. So... what am I missing here? Brand new Actuator Controller bad? Any insight would be appreciated. Love this bike. Can live without 4WD but would really like to figure out what is wrong with that particular circuit.

Thanx!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured it out.....

Nice to have a wiring diagram.....

Figured it out. Installed a speedometer with this bike a couple of years ago. That got smashed up pretty well when I rolled the bike in the river and has not worked since. In fact, there is condensation (clue) under the glass. Looking at the wiring diagram for this bike, found that the pink wire from the Actuator Controller (Terminal 5) also ties into the Speedometer (Green lead) and likewise, the Speed Sensor (Green lead) (Another clue). Obviously, these devices are linked electrically. After removing the speedometer (disconnected the wiring harness, all 3 leads), took the bike out for a quick run and low and behold.... the 4WD drive engages when the 2WD/4WD switch is made (switch closed). Didn't need to check the voltage at the Actuator Controller although I should probably still do that just to verify.

So for those of you out there with a similar problem, sharing this experience in the event you have a similar set of circumstances.

Best,

FatBoyHunter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts