ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help ...I have a 2008 Polaris 500 sportsman... when rpm's. go up (to around 5000 rpm), the volts go up to around 17-18 volts causing the battery light to come on and speedo needle to flash, and when the bike goes down to idle rpm's, the volts go down to 10 - 11 volts and again the battery light comes on and speedo needle flashes. So far I have, put in a new battery fully charged, and I have checked resistance to ground on the 3 yellow stator wires. my ohm meter beeps when I do this, so I am assuming this is showing a bad stator, but would like some input from others, before I start looking for a new stator, any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Mudrunner123

·
Registered
49 Posts
check to see if you have a voltage regulator, not too familiar with newer bikes, but sounds like an inoperable voltage regulator to me...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks country livin ...yes I do have a voltage regulator/rectifier, but when i checked the 3 yellow stator wires and they were showing a closed circuit to ground, I thought that this would be my problem, still looking for a way to test the regulator/ rectifier... these 3 yellows from the stator, go up to the regulator/rectifier.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Polaris...

You can't test a rectifier on a motorcycle.
There could be a break in the output of the rectifier and the battery. the stator is doing its job and the rectifier is doing its job. that positive output(Red) of the rectifier is to go directly to the battery positive post. and somewhere between those to the connection is lost. that would also explain why it is shooting up to 17 volts. with a battery connected to that recitfier correctly, it should only read between 13-15 volts. otherwise this would be considered an overcharge. or its possible that the rectifer grounding wire is not finding ground(Bare metal), either way that charge from the rectifier isn't making it to the battery. Check the ignition switch connection and all wire connections.

check at that wire at the ignition switch to see if you get the 13+ volts there, if you do then check for that same voltage before that breaker.
It seems there is a loose connection, or poor connection. You will probably want to see if it Is between the ignition switch and regulator or if it's between the breaker and ign switch. The best test for this would be a resistance test. If you check resistance between any of those components. There should be no more then .5 ohms. And when checking that. Wiggle some harnesses to see if any of them can alter the reading significantly. I believe you are chasing a bad connection.
Hope this helps...:thumbsup:

·
Banned
377 Posts
The stator is doing its job and the rectifier is doing its job if you get spark at the plug....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Trikemaster,
I will check the connections in the morning, what do you think about the 3 yellow stator wires, when I ohm them out , to ground they show a closed circuit, I pulled the stator off and all looks good in there, but when I ohmed the yellows to the inner casing of the stator and not even on the bike, i was getting a closed circuit then too. Does that make any sense to you ? To me I would think that they should show an open circuit, as the 3 yellow go straight up to the regulator!!
thanks for your help!!!

·
Banned
377 Posts
rectifier....

yes, it makes sense because the rectifier is like a battery(it should have continuity). It sends a charge back to the battery. If your spark plug sparks then your rectifier is good because it all connects.

*Check the ignition switch connection and all wire connections.
Good luck....I would bet it is a wire connection:thumbsup:

If all else fails you can jump a wire, but that is a last minute resort...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys, sorry I took so long getting back at my bike, with the holidays and all and work i haven't had a lot of time... I checked all connections, and could find nothing bad, so downloaded a manual off the internet and found that the stator was shorting out to ground, I sent it to r&m stator in Quebec and had it rewound,( 4 day turnaround) for far less than half price of a new one, with a 1 year warranty, installed it and all is well, holding 14.3 volts works great, thanks guys for all your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will probably want to see if it Is between the ignition switch and regulator or if it's between the breaker and ign switch

hi trikemaster

what do mean by breaker? is that the little relay that says short start on it? my buddy has a 1991 sportsman 400 that wont charge batt and we found this relay. it was sealed in a plastic. we thought we found the problem. but it was ok voltage on both terms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will probably want to see if it Is between the ignition switch and regulator or if it's between the breaker and ign switch

hi trikemaster

what do mean by breaker? is that the little relay that says short start on it? my buddy has a 1991 sportsman 400 that wont charge batt and we found this relay. it was sealed in a plastic case. it had one red wire on both sides we thought we found the problem. but it was ok have to look deeper.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Sportsman 500....

Hi Guys, sorry I took so long getting back at my bike, with the holidays and all and work i haven't had a lot of time... I checked all connections, and could find nothing bad, so downloaded a manual off the internet and found that the stator was shorting out to ground, I sent it to r&m stator in Quebec and had it rewound,( 4 day turnaround) for far less than half price of a new one, with a 1 year warranty, installed it and all is well, holding 14.3 volts works great, thanks guys for all your help!
Ahha....that's what it was. Awsome.

·
Banned
377 Posts

hi trikemaster

what do mean by breaker? is that the little relay that says short start on it? my buddy has a 1991 sportsman 400 that wont charge batt and we found this relay. it was sealed in a plastic case. it had one red wire on both sides we thought we found the problem. but it was ok have to look deeper.
regulator/rectifier....
The charging system you have has a stator which charges the battery but it is only really effective above a certain RPM range. So if you have a weak battery you can idle the engine for hours and won't charge the battery.
If you're not putting the battery on a trickle charger during periods of non-use you may be draining it faster than the stator is charging it.

Alternatively, you could have a fried regulator/rectifier which means no charging at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts