ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, my dad was riding his brute force 750, and it started firing up with difficulty, smoking kinda white or blue ish (hard to tell when it was night). It smelled sort of sweet but. It has been starting on one cylinder and then running on 2 since april when I rode it馃槵. I was riding it on trails a bit and it overheated (I shut it because the fan was not coming on and I shut it off and let cool. The rad was not clogged we blew it out and same problems. ( I was not riding hard just cruising and gassing it a little on straightaways ) We fixed the fan but now it still overheats, and now burns coolant. The smoke was almost certainly coolant because it did not loose any oil. My dad thinks it's a blown head gasket or a cracked head. My dad is completely blaming it on me but the fourwheeler has had thousands of miles since he put on a new top end, and crap wears out. Anybody have this happen to them? What do you think the problem is?

Registered
blue smoke is oil.

does the smoke smell sweet? if so that coolant, but normally coolant burning smoke is white.

if you were burning coolant youd smell sweet and the smoke will be white,
if the gasket is bad, there will be coolant in the oil. Do an oil change to determine that.
Cracked head? no, maybe you mean cylinder? remove spark plug and turn it over a couple of time, do you see coolant spitting out?

How did you fix the fan? I think your coolant temp sensor is faulty (common)
and perhaps check your thermostat operation and water pump.

Get s service manual or bring it to someone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blue smoke is oil.

does the smoke smell sweet? if so that coolant, but normally coolant burning smoke is white.

if you were burning coolant youd smell sweet and the smoke will be white,
if the gasket is bad, there will be coolant in the oil. Do an oil change to determine that.
Cracked head? no, maybe you mean cylinder? remove spark plug and turn it over a couple of time, do you see coolant spitting out?

How did you fix the fan? I think your coolant temp sensor is faulty (common)
and perhaps check your thermostat operation and water pump.

Get s service manual or bring it to someone.
The smoke was kind of white I couldn't tell because it was night . I have smelt burning oil from a four stroke and that is not what it smelled like. It lost coolant but not oil. Not burning oil. It is burning coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts