ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in southern Manitoba and just bought a 2009 rubicon 500....Canadian Tire is close by so I bought MotoMaster Formula 1 SAE 5W-30 motor oil for the upcoming winter months.....My manual states I should use API SG oils but they also "RECOMMEND" API SJ oils....The oil I bought states," EXCEEDS API SL,SJ,SH AND SG SERVICE CLASSIFICATIONS"....It goes on to say," IT`S BLENDED WITH ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVES AND A FRICTION MODIFIER THAT REDUCES ENGINE WEAR CAUSED BY METAL TO METAL CONTACT. IT ALSO UTILIZES AN ENHANCED SEAL CONDITIONER TO HELP REDUCE OIL LEAKS.INCREASED LEVELS OF ANTIOXIDANT COMPOUNDS PROVIDE GREATER PROTECTION AGAINST VISCOSITY BREAKDOWN. "....I`m a little concerned about the oil as a whole for I`m ignorant of all the info provided in the specs for the said oil....I originally bought the oil because it said exceeds api sg and sj....Should I use this oil or not?Please help.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honda recommend a 10w-40 as an all round application. In extreem cold, your 5W-30 is fine but not if you are going to give it beans.
Be careful with friction modifiers as they can cause clutch slippage.
As for API ratings, you are fine. Alot of the blurb on specs is crap.
Try it and see how it goes. If the clutch slips, change it and go for a more basic version.
If you are paraniod about using this lubricant, go to your local dealer and get what they recommend. Might save some sleepless nights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts