ATV Forum banner

2009 Yamaha YFZ450R Review - Dune Test

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  stenejohn 
#1 ·

My infatuation with Yamaha's 2009 YFZ450R began in earnest late last year, when the media was invited to Valencia, Calif. for a couple of days of test riding, picture taking, and assorted other hard-working editor stuff. I say in earnest, because before that event, I had already had the opportunity to see and touch the YFZ450R at the Vegas dealer show in Sept of 2008, when it was first shown to the public. That first day in Vegas when I sat upon Yamaha's newest sport machine was the day that I knew that the YFZR (as I affectionately call it) could someday have a place of its own in my garage.

Fast forward to February, 2009 when I get an e-mail from Lucas Cooney of ATV.com asking if I would be interested in attending Yamaha's annual SE dune event, and write a "dune review" on the YFZ450R. Would I? Hmmmmm … of course I would! After all, there have been quite a few reviews published on the YFZ450R's prowess on the MX track, and its excellent manners as a trail quad are becoming well known; but how would it perform in the deep sands of a place like Glamis, Calif.? Well, I was definitely game to find out!

More: 2009 Yamaha YFZ450R Review - Dune Test on ATV.com

See less See more
#3 ·
I have one question, about the above picture of 2009 Yamaha YFZ450R, mean what will happen if the Sand gets in to the engine and jam it, mean sand have very tiny granules of crystals and can affect the sensative parts of engine, Hope the Yamaha people have taken care of this issue, or he picture is only good for advertising :)
Kevin

#5 ·
The YFZ450R has a frame made entirely of aluminum with a steel bottom rail which is screwed together to increase resistance. I've had problems before with my YFZs sub frames cracking, but I felt like Yamaha did a good job in addressing this problem with its new framework strengthened. The YFZ450R comes with a wheelbase 3 inches wider than the original YFZ450, so the park becomes a breeze machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.