ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
recently got myself a 2004 400ex, when i got it you have to start it by shorting out the starter, when you hit the button nothing, no clicks at all, anyone have any ideas? i have a fully charged battery and have checked all the normal connections the guy i got it from said he thought it was the selonoid i just wanted to know before i started replacing parts.:dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
put 12 volts to the small terminal on the solenoid or put a screwdriver across the two terminals at the solenoid. If nothing happens its the solenoid if the starter turns over it could be the switch or the wiring to the solenoid.
Good luck!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
what would happen if you put the solenoid in backwards? i put an aftermarket air box on which put all the electronics inside the air box and i went to start it and the lights were on when i first turned on the key but as soon as i tried to start it, it clicked and then the lights went out and then there was nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "backwards" but if you got the polarity backwards you have at least blown a fuse. Check that out first and make sure the wires are all "positive" and none are going to ground. Hopefully the click you heard was only a fuse poping. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts