ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
700 grizzly is cutting out and doesn`t want to come back on power, the reverse light is now comming on when this happens, some times it will come back on and runn fine at higher speeds?, any ideas???? help please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I remember that is a failed rev/neutral switch on the motor. either do the rev override mod or replace the switch.Second place thing to look at is the tps sensor.
Saber thanks, what is the TPS sensor?, and how do you perform the overide mod?, thanks for your info it is appreciated, bardahl

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Trottle position senor "tps" but before messing with that I would try Jumpering the Reverse switch

The reverse switch is located to the rear of the starter motor and about in center of the machine.
You will need to remove the side panels. It may be most accessible from the right side.

It looks like a small spark plug. It has one wire going to it. It functions by grounding that one wire to the motor when it is in any gear other than reverse. If the wire is not grounded, the machine will think it is in Reverse and the R light will be on. If that one wire is grounded, the reverse light on the dash panel will not come on. This condition will exist no matter what gear you are in. If you permorm this modification, when you actually put it in Reverse, the reverse light will not light. This is the only downside.

I put a wire from the wire that is going to the reverse switch at the point where it snaps on and ran it to a small toggle switch and then to ground. When the small toggle switch is closed the reverse switch is jumped. In this condition I never have the performance problem (but the R light can not come on.). I put the toggle switch in so that I can ride with it unjumped and when problem appears, I close toggle and the problem disappears.
There is an updated reverse switch that is supposed to cure the problem. the part number from a new replacement switch by yamaha (3GB-82540-01).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trottle position senor "tps" but before messing with that I would try Jumpering the Reverse switch

The reverse switch is located to the rear of the starter motor and about in center of the machine.
You will need to remove the side panels. It may be most accessible from the right side.

It looks like a small spark plug. It has one wire going to it. It functions by grounding that one wire to the motor when it is in any gear other than reverse. If the wire is not grounded, the machine will think it is in Reverse and the R light will be on. If that one wire is grounded, the reverse light on the dash panel will not come on. This condition will exist no matter what gear you are in. If you permorm this modification, when you actually put it in Reverse, the reverse light will not light. This is the only downside.

I put a wire from the wire that is going to the reverse switch at the point where it snaps on and ran it to a small toggle switch and then to ground. When the small toggle switch is closed the reverse switch is jumped. In this condition I never have the performance problem (but the R light can not come on.). I put the toggle switch in so that I can ride with it unjumped and when problem appears, I close toggle and the problem disappears.
There is an updated reverse switch that is supposed to cure the problem. the part number from a new replacement switch by yamaha (3GB-82540-01).

Saber thanks for your help we`ll give that a try, interestingly enough I also am a IUOE member local 701 thanks again; bardahl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts