ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 mojave and it doesnt missfire or smoke or anything it idles good, but when you run it up hills it boggs down and doesnt have any power... same goes for trying to pull wheelies or anything else that requires full throttle. It has plenty of compression and I always run mid or high test fuel in it, cleaned the carb and tried some seafoam last tank i put in it. Any ideas, heres a video i made on a trail ride that shows it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U85IznDSWKo

·
Banned
377 Posts
Boggs out on hills....

First:
Check spark plug wire boot=re-cut end and push+twist the boot back on.
Then:
Raise the needle in the carb. one notch and also increase the jet size. Also check your float level.

2004 sportsman 400 missing only on hills===Polaris had issues on defective plug wires for that year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First:
Check spark plug wire boot=re-cut end and push+twist the boot back on.
Then:
Raise the needle in the carb. one notch and also increase the jet size. Also check your float level.

2004 sportsman 400 missing only on hills===Polaris had issues on defective plug wires for that year.
ok ill give that a shot, the only other thing i can think of is on these carbs they have some sort of vacuum diaprham in them and im hoping the boot isnt shot
thanks

·
Banned
377 Posts
That sucks. That carb has massive parts....

The float chamber is located between both induction throats. The fuel level in the float chamber is regulated through the buoyancy of the float, that is, the float tang opens or closes the float needle valve. The float level may be adjusted by means of an externally located screw which adjusts the height of the intermediate swivel joint. This provision makes it possible to easily adjust the float level for the particular grade of fuel used. The fuel level may be checked by removing the plug from the inspection port.

·
Banned
377 Posts
There is an adjustment screw on the carb. that adjusts the float bowl level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My xt350 yamaha did this to me for years and progressively got worse. It would start and idle and drive just fine but when I went to climb a hill it would bog really bad to the point I couldnt climb any big hills. I thought it was a dirty carb so when I took it off to clean it I discovered the boot that goes between the carb and motor had started to come apart and was letting air get by the carb under power. I changed the boot and it hasnt done the bogging on hills since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts