ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 kodiak 400, I have no spark when using the starter but if I pull the recoil rope I have spark. I have replaced the coil, CDI box, and now the stator and pickup coil. Still the same thing is happening. I’m at a loss now anything can help

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you look in the service manual, at the wiring diargams, I think you will find it has a wire going into the cdi unit, feeding twelve volts in when the starter is being used. I'd suspect that circuit inside the cdi unit is playing up. I'd try disconnecting the twelve volt start feed and see if it sparks then.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nope afraid not. The colour probably varies from year to year and market to market so best to get the manual.
I think also that on some yamahas the twelve volt feed gets fed into the cdi all the time, then gets earthed out when the starter button is pushed.. It's a variation on the same twelve volts being used to detect the start button being pushed.

There are manuals around, quadcrazy has some, or ManualsLib have them for free download.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok tonight I tried to see if it would stay running with pulling the recoil, it did and I thought I might try and bump the starter button to see if it dies. It stayed running, I then shut it off and tried the starter again and it started with the starter several times in a row and even ran up and down the driveway, don’t ask me what I did to fix the issue cause I don’t have any idea. Thanks everybody for the advice and helping me through this issue. I hope it stays running and if it doesn’t I will be back on here if I can’t figure it out thank you again

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well it's good you've found something... now. Well done.

It's always a good idea to check that the various power and pulse feeds are getting right to the cdi when we are checking these things. The books generally say to check at the motor end of the wiring, but that doesn't prove much if there is, as in this case, a broken wire between the motor and cdi, or if it's the power, it's not much use just checking for power at the switch when we need it at the cdi.

And for that matter.. it's always better to diagnose things than just start fitting parts in the hope it will be the problem.. Lesson learnt I hope. And I say that for everyone's benefit.. I see an awful lot of people in these forums changing every electrical component, before asking for advice, in what turns out to be a broken wire..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts