ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 king quad 300, that is hard to upshift, into 2nd gear, while riding I have adjusted the clutch with no change. Anyone have any ideas ? Also how do I clean the shift lever and mechanism and lubricate it ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What about 3rd and up ? Any problems there ? I don't know if your quad has a linkage with
spherical bearings or not. On mine all the external bearings on the linkage were shot. Replaced
them and it shifted like new.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about 3rd and up ? Any problems there ? I don't know if your quad has a linkage with
spherical bearings or not. On mine all the external bearings on the linkage were shot. Replaced
them and it shifted like new.

Mad
It’s mainly 2nd gear, that’s hard to shift into but sometimes 3rd,4th, and 5th are hard as well and I have no clue if it has the spherical bearings or not don’t know much about it. I have a rebuild book on it but it confuses me when I try to read on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I adjusted the shift lever, it works a little better, but it is having issues downshifting, it has a delayed reaction, I can press the lever down, and it doesn’t click, then I hit it again, then it clicks but reacts a few seconds later

·
Registered
261 Posts
You have fewer joints than mine. Look at every pivot on your shift linkage while you move your shifter with your hand. There should be very little play before it starts actually turning the shift shaft. Any excess slop in any of the joints can cause these kinds of problems.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have fewer joints than mine. Look at every pivot on your shift linkage while you move your shifter with your hand. There should be very little play before it starts actually turning the shift shaft. Any excess slop in any of the joints can cause these kinds of problems.

Mad
I checked, all of the joints, there’s no excessive play in them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lol, well if its not excessive play and its adjusted properly, I guess reject step is to dig inside the covers and look at the gear selector arm and spring. Trying to avoid getting into the cases.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, well if its not excessive play and its adjusted properly, I guess reject step is to dig inside the covers and look at the gear selector arm and spring. Trying to avoid getting into the cases.

Mad
Yea, I’m definitely trying to avoid opening the cases. Because I don’t know much about the inside of it, and don’t want to cause, more harm then good to it. Plus money is a very tight problem right now for me

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's ok to open up the motor. At least the cover over the shift mechanism. Have a service manual and watch some
YouBoob videos. Take your time and take pictures. That's how you learn to fix things like this.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's ok to open up the motor. At least the cover over the shift mechanism. Have a service manual and watch some
YouBoob videos. Take your time and take pictures. That's how you learn to fix things like this.

Mad
I don’t trust myself, enough to do it the book doesn’t make much sense at times to me and YouTube is ok at times but knowing my luck I’ll screw it up worse then what it is

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I started riding I knew nothing about working on bikes. What convinced me to learn was watching my friend, in the dirt, fixing MY bike while muttering " I don't know why I'm working on this piece of ****. It ain't my bike. "
Fast forward a few years I had a small business fixing peoples bikes out of my garage. That grew to becoming a Factory trained tech for KTM, Triumph and Ducati. Including being one of 1500 worldwide trained on the Desmosedici. I say try. Just give yourself plenty of time to get it fixed. A time limit is not good.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I started riding I knew nothing about working on bikes. What convinced me to learn was watching my friend, in the dirt, fixing MY bike while muttering " I don't know why I'm working on this piece of ****. It ain't my bike. "
Fast forward a few years I had a small business fixing peoples bikes out of my garage. That grew to becoming a Factory trained tech for KTM, Triumph and Ducati. Including being one of 1500 worldwide trained on the Desmosedici. I say try. Just give yourself plenty of time to get it fixed. A time limit is not good.

Mad
Some people have a nack for it, and others just don’t. I’ve tried working on things, in the past that I took, several years to fix, and just made the problem worse, then ended up having, to pay a shop to fix, what I basically screwed up completely. But I’ve been wanting to learn how to work on atvs, but I’ve never had any luck, with actually fixing anything, just making the problems worse, plus with trying to fix it I don’t have the funds to buy parts and things to fix it with. When I do I end up ordering the wrong stuff have the time I’ve just never had luck with this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I completely understand. I guess try to find someone locally that can give you a hand. If you can, ask if they'd mind you watching and helping out. All machines are just parts held together with bolts. Another idea is to find an old bike or quad for free. Condition unimportant. Start taking it apart just to see how everything works. Internally, most single cylinder vehicles are the same.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I completely understand. I guess try to find someone locally that can give you a hand. If you can, ask if they'd mind you watching and helping out. All machines are just parts held together with bolts. Another idea is to find an old bike or quad for free. Condition unimportant. Start taking it apart just to see how everything works. Internally, most single cylinder vehicles are the same.

Mad
I wish there was someone, local that knows about them to help me but haven’t found anyone yet and I am certain no one around here has anything for free like that not these days that Is

·
Registered
261 Posts
You'd be surprised. There are 3 kinds of things you can usually find for cheap or free. All will need work
Old dirt bikes
Boats
RVs
People buy them, use them for a year or two and then park them. Keep your peepers open in backyards and open garages. If you see something interesting, go ask.

Mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You'd be surprised. There are 3 kinds of things you can usually find for cheap or free. All will need work
Old dirt bikes
Boats
RVs
People buy them, use them for a year or two and then park them. Keep your peepers open in backyards and open garages. If you see something interesting, go ask.

Mad
Where I’m at stopping, and asking someone, about something, I see on their property, usually gets you shot or they call the law for suspicious vehicle now a days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts