ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Suzuki king quad 300, that the oil temp light comes on while riding it. I checked the temp , with a thermo gun and the head was reading at 221 degrees f, and the oil itself temp was at 205 degrees f, is this a normal temp for this quad ???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 97 Suzuki king quad 300, that the oil temp light comes on while riding it. I checked the temp , with a thermo gun and the head was reading at 221 degrees f, and the oil itself temp was at 205 degrees f, is this a normal temp for this quad ???
Please, if anyone knows what the oil temps should be, I really need the help haven’t had any luck on finding out on any other forums

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone, have any clue, on what could be causing the light to come on, anyone at all ?????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the oil cooler fan work?

is the oil thermo switch sensor working correctly?

I do not have a 300 manual and a 250 does not show an oil light indicator.
Mine does not have a cooling fan, they discontinued those for my quad, and it’s a oil temp sensor and it’s brand new so yes it’s working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, these models are not meant to idle for long periods of time.

was the sensor replaced with the same specs? if its rated for a different temp, its possible its close on you earlier and switching on the light.

the sensor, (old one or new) can be easily tested in boiling water, ohm meter and a thermometer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure, it was a oem replacement sensor and the old one not sure what the specs were on it. Never had the light come on, on it, when my grandpa had it and he let it idle a lot and never had a problem with it but I know the oil temp is reading at 205 degrees f, when the light kicks on which I wouldn’t think is overheating.

·
Registered
89 Posts
normally around 200f a coolant fan would turn on.

because you do not have any way of cooling the engine without actually riding it and letting air do its job, I wouldnt recommend idling it for long periods of time, you better off shut it down and restart again.

does the light come on if you ride lets say for 30 min?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
normally around 200f a coolant fan would turn on.

because you do not have any way of cooling the engine without actually riding it and letting air do its job, I wouldnt recommend idling it for long periods of time, you better off shut it down and restart again.

does the light come on if you ride lets say for 30 min?
No the light doesn’t come on for just riding 30 minutes, i don’t let it idle much when I do have it running mainly have it going at least 30 mph, when it does come on but even with running it faster it stays on and it takes almost 3 hrs to cool off

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No the light doesn’t come on for just riding 30 minutes, i don’t let it idle much when I do have it running mainly have it going at least 30 mph, when it does come on but even with running it faster it stays on and it takes almost 3 hrs to cool off
But it’s never came on, when my grandpa had it at all, and he let it idle a decent amount and took it on longer rides, from 1997 to 2011 and never had the light come on, then it was sold to someone and I lucked into trading for it, ( not knowing it was the same quad) and that was 4 years later. Then I had to start sinking money into it, because the guy I got it from never maintained it at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But it’s never came on, when my grandpa had it at all, and he let it idle a decent amount and took it on longer rides, from 1997 to 2011 and never had the light come on, then it was sold to someone and I lucked into trading for it, ( not knowing it was the same quad) and that was 4 years later. Then I had to start sinking money into it, because the guy I got it from never maintained it at all.
It has 348,000 miles on it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if someone can post the wiring diagram, that be great!
I have a wiring diagram, in the owners manual but there’s nothing wrong with the wiring, that I could find, everything seems hooked up right and not damaged or grounded out anywhere

1 - 20 of 22 Posts