ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my kodiak started backfiring on decline yesterday and when I stopped it cut out. Started back up no problem but when I stopped again it cut out again. Could it be a dirty carb? I’ve only ever used it really about the field and it’s never really been out of 4th gear but yesterday I had it a good run and it was near the end of the run it started playing up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You could have sucked up some crud from the bottom of the bowl. Time to clean everything.
When you say backfiring, do you mean out the exhaust ? Or back through the airbox ?
Depending on which it is, it can indicate different problems.

Mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes backfiring from the exhaust pal. I did think about taking the carb off and getting a rebuild kit for it and give it a good clean but wasn’t sure if that would fix it

·
Registered
239 Posts
Before doing anything else, there are two things to verify.
1. Air filter is clean
2. Valves have been checked and adjusted
Backfiring out the exhaust can indicate a very rich mixture, ( which argues against the jets being plugged),
or a tight exhaust valve. Not closing all the way and allowing raw fuel into the muffler where it then
ignites. So do those things first then see how it goes. You don't want to leave an exhaust valve to
hang open. It will burn and you'll have to do a top end job.

Mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will have a look today. Would u happen to know the size of the valve gap for the timing tool?

·
Registered
239 Posts
No I don't. I think you can look it up on Google. To adjust the valves I'd highly recommend having the service manual.

Mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve ordered the Haynes manual. I think I know what my problems been, I’m not sure yet but I think I’ve been driving it with the reserve on. Would that maybe put the gunk from the tank into the carb?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that’s what happened. I’ve ordered a carb rebuild kit so I’ll get it off, cleaned and new kit fitted when it arrives. Was going to take it a run tonight but think I’ll leave it till it’s fixed before I do just incase it breaks down whilst I’m out

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you clean the carb, it's very important to remove the jets and make sure they're clear.
Look through them with a strong light. Also, people sometimes forget to clean the PASSAGES
the jets sit in. When you shoot carb cleaner through those passages, you should see a little spray
in the carb throat. It would be a good time to install an inline fuel filter too.

Mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already have a fuel filter on with the braided line. Yes I’ll give it a good thorough clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve just noticed that the rubber carb intake manifold is all ripped. Could that be my problem with the backfiring? I’ve ordered a new one, will be here on Monday

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, I'm new to quads but got an old beater Big Bear for my property. Spent 15 years as a
Factory Ducati, Triumph, KTM tech. Now retired I like helping out when I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi again mad. I’ve cleaned the carb and put the new rebuild kit on it, put the new manifold on and still popping. Bought a new carb too and put it on and still popping and running worse than the one I had on it. The new one is an aftermarket one where as the old one is mikuni. Ive noticed that the valve timing cover has 06/20 written on it as if it’s been done in June last year. Do you think the valve and exhaust timing could be needing redone or even checked to see if the feeler gauge depth are correct?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you don't know the maintenance history of any vehicle, checking valve clearance is ALWAYS
a good idea. If the valves are off it can cause all kinds of running issues. Regarding the replacement carb,
unless it's OEM, it's probably not jetted for your quad. Take the jets out of the stock carb and use
those.

Mad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts