ATV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’ve been working on getting an old 98 Wolverine 350 back on the trails for a few months now. It’s been in my family for a while but it sat for a few years up until about 2 years ago. When I started fixing it up I put a new intake boot on (between carb and head) and a new carb because my grandpa broke the holder for the high speed jet on the original one. My problem right now is that the atv is running lean and ive tried a lot to get it to run right. My current situation is that it will rev all the way up with a 140 main installed and a 42.5 pilot installed. I am not sure what the stock jetting is, but the Jets that came out of the original carb are 150 main and 42.5 pilot. With the 150 main installed, the atv will backfire and sputter and blow smoke at high rpm, whereas the 140 main will let it rev up to high rpm as normal (so i assume i should keep the new 140 main installed). The issue I came on here to see if y’all could help me with is the fact that this thing won’t stay idling. It spits back through the carb and giving it only a little gas will kill it, you have to gun it and play with the throttle to get it to rev up. So basically it spits through the carb at idle and has a dead spot right after idle. I have the idle mixture screw set to 2 1/2 turns out, and if you run this screw all the way in or all the way out or anywhere in between, nothing changes. I have found that if you cover most of the intake, it will idle correctly with no spitting through the carb and it also removes the dead spot in the throttle, but obviously you can’t rev it up much because it needs more air and will die out at higher rpms. Also one more piece of info, my muffler has lots of holes in it. I have cleaned the carb several times, so I know I don’t need to worry about that, and I’ve tried spraying gas all around the carb to check for an air leak and it does nothing. Also switching the Pilot jet out between the original 42.5 jet and a brand new 42.5 jet does nothing. Obviously this is a textbook lean run issue, so my two questions are, should I get a bigger pilot jet to fix the lean run issue, and would those holes in my muffler cause the atv to run lean. I’ve also checked the diaphragm to make sure it doesn’t have any holes or is torn and it looked fine along with the o rings on the passage to the choke plunger. Any help is appreciated, I’ve tried everything but a new muffler and going to a bigger pilot jet so I wanted to see what y’all thought about it. Thanks y’all, and sorry for such a long post. (This is also my first post lol)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts