ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and to the ATV world. I bough this Lt-F300f for getting around on my property and hunting. It has been a good runner but Today while running it a distance at speed for the first time it just died and wouldnt restart until it sat for about 5 minutes. Then it would fire up and run about 100 yards then sit for 5 more minutes all the way home. Would only run with the choke on full. I got it home and removed the fuel line from the tank and cannot get any fuel out regardless of the position of the petcock. Couldnt even suck any out.

In the past on other units I have blown air into the petcock exit in order to remove the clogging material to see if that helped the situation but this vacume controled petcock has me a bit concerned if I will mess it up doing that.

What is the proper procedure for checking that Petcock? I have a half tank of fuel in it and will drain it if I need to but would prefer testing before draining.

Any other advice would be appriciated...

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. Apply vacuum to the activation line. If nothing, and it seems that may be the case..
2 Check the vac line from carb. Any holes or has it comeloose/off?
3 Remove the tap from tank.Check the strainer is clear.
The tap is classified as non-repairable but it may be able to be stripped down to see whats what.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply Cobra.

I intend to follow up on your recomendations and appriciate the reply. The strangest thing happened today.

I cleaned the air filter and replaced it with a used spare I have after leting it all sit overnight. I fired it up which I expected it would much like the orignal problem. I ran it back and forth short distances then let it sit in the drive and idle without issue. I added some sea foam to the tank as a precation and to displace any water in the system. I continued to let it idle still without issue.

Now I dont call this fixed as I havent found the problem yet and I cant stand broke stuff so I have to get to the bottom of this.

Is there anything that would cause shut down due to heat as described in the orignal post?

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rio, I would tend to go fuel as the symptoms, at this stage, point that way. I wonder if the diaphram, in the tap, is sticking which could happen if not used for a period of time.
By the way, what is this Seafoam that you all talk about?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cobra it is a muilti use cleaner/fuel stabilizer, lubricant, Here is a link to it. Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment In the past we have used it in our mowers and tractors as an addative once or twice a year as a preventative measure. the reason I used it in this case is it also aids in "drying" the fuel. I dont think it would help with a lot of water but no more than should be in that tank is should help.

Probably snake oil but it has never hurt the situation.
I want to agree. I dont know much abut ATV's but were this any other internal combustion engine I would be at fule at this point, just supprised I couldnt get it to do it again. only thing I diddnt do was sustained RPM's for a mile or so. I may try that tomorrow, and see of there is any change.

After a half hour of running the ATV idle smoothed and was actually much better running and the throttle response was much better.

Regardless, I have to get it out and see of the problem persists... This probaly sounds bad but I cant stand having a piece of equiptment that dosent work right...

The quad may have sat prior to my purchase and with the improvement with a little snake oil treatment I wonder if it dosent have some varnish here and there.

Thanks again for the response Cobra I do appriciate the information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well back to square one, looks like someone else may have had a similar problem because the fuel pump only has one bolt in it.

so tomorrow i will have to get out the vacum pump.

How exactly does this swstem work, 4 hoses i can see one on each side of the petcock and one on each side of the pump,,,, could they have possibly put that fuel pump in a more difficult place to get to??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts