ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have this 1999 Rincon 250 that has been constantly dripping gas from the bottom of the carb bowl, even when the fuel petcock is in the off position.

I pulled the fuel hose off the carb and there is a constant drip every 5 seconds coming from the hose.

So, i know the fuel shut off is bad and needs replaced, but why would gas be leaking from the carb? I have had the carb apart and checked the float and float valve. It is all good.

So in my mind, it shouldn't matter if the gas is on or off(slightly running), the float should stop any excess gas from entering the bowl, thus leaking out the bottom.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It going to be your float valve. Either the rubber tip of the float valve has gotten dried out and hard or the hole that it goes into is not smooth anymore. I’ve use a q tip, some valve lapping compound and a power drill to clean them up before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I didn't look at the valve seat. The tip of the valve looks good to me, and with the fuel line hooked up and the bowl off, moving the float by hand would stop the fuel flow completely.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have saw the float get a pin hole in it and get a little fuel in it and cause it not to float to shut off the fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New float valve, new float and pin and petcock, and even polished the valve seat with some grinding compound until it was shiny. The thing will still drip occasionally with the fuel on. Not at all with it off. So one problem is fixed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like you have done about everything. I think I would just ride it and see how it does if the leak is that small. I think any 20 year old machine will have a few problems. Even Honda’s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts