ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always riding dirtbikes as a kid, but in April 2004 after a really bad injury, my right leg had to be amputated. I never rode again until early 2008 when I tried a friend's quad. I now own a Yamaha Grizzly and have modified it for my needs.
Is there any other riders out there that have disabilities but still get out on the trails?
What have you done to your machine to make it work for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to hear what your doing, i think it's great your back riding, i don't have anything to suggest, but do you have any pics or can explain what mods you did to suit your needs? Where do you ride and can you get access to more areas because of your disability? I know you can where i live. keep it up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically for my situation, the modifications are really simple. At first I tried to wear my artificial leg when I rode. That didn't work so good because I could'nt make the foot stay on the floorboard. It felt better riding without my leg on, but I was tricky in rough terrain. When I stood, all my weight was on the left side of the machine. We then came up with a simple solution. We built a platform on the right floorboard that came up to seat level. Then I modified an old prosthetic leg that I use to wear. I wear the socket for the leg on my thigh, and attached to it is a small length of tubing (about 6 inches) with a rubber tip on the end. I guess it looks like a short peg-leg. When I sit the leg is short enough to clear the front fender, and when I stand, I can put weight on it as it reaches the platform. It's not pretty, but it really helps me ride better.
I ride most of the time in western Canada, and I don't get any special access to areas because of my disability.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts